Arkansas State Sponsored Geocaching

kevrab

Recently I sent away for some tourist info on the state of Arkansas thinking this summer of traveling there for some camping and kayaking. Anyway, in the tour guide book (2008) there is a whole page (#32) devoted to geocaching and also the state, in honor of the 75th anniversary of their state park system, is going to release 5000 geocoins.

Also, in the back of the book they have the gps coordinates for landmarks, state parks, hotels, etc.

I know I sound like I'm one of Arkansas' publicity schmucks (I'm not----still living in the Michigan tundra) but I thought putting out this info was very cool.

Here's the link----

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/geocaching/

Edited by kevrab

Recently I sent away for some tourist info on the state of Arkansas thinking this summer of traveling there for some camping and kayaking. Anyway, in the tour guide book (2008) there is a whole page (#32) devoted to geocaching and also the state, in honor of the 75th anniversary of their state park system, is going to release 5000 geocoins.

Also, in the back of the book they have the gps coordinates for landmarks, state parks, hotels, etc.

I know I sound like I'm one of Arkansas' publicity schmucks (I'm not----still living in the Michigan tundra) but I thought putting out this info was very cool.

Here's the link----

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/geocaching/

Bad news!! I just got off the phone with the department of tourism in Arkansas because I wanted to find out what the timetable was for releasing the coins. The person I talked to didn't know so he said he would find out and call me back, which he did. He found out the geocoins were a proposal that got shot down but somehow still got printed in the book. There will be no coins.

Wow, I'm in Fort Smith and that would've been awesome! There are tons of beautiful areas in this state, and all of them have caches...someday I'm going to take vacation and just hit caches along a route from one side of the state to the other.

If you ever get over by Jonesboro there is a park, which I think was south of Jonesboro that has a bunch of nice caches in it I can't remember the name of the park, but counting the micros I think there were over a dozen caches there. We stopped on our way home from Helena, AR

Wow, I'm in Fort Smith and that would've been awesome! There are tons of beautiful areas in this state, and all of them have caches...someday I'm going to take vacation and just hit caches along a route from one side of the state to the other.

If you ever get over by Jonesboro there is a park, which I think was south of Jonesboro that has a bunch of nice caches in it I can't remember the name of the park, but counting the micros I think there were over a dozen caches there. We stopped on our way home from Helena, AR

It is called Craighead Forest Park and is one of my favorite spots in town! A great place for caching, birding, enjoying a good day without rain (if we have one of those anytime soon)...