GPSs and Hiking

They aure can. what, exactly, are you looking to do with it? You simply need to record the tracks you are traveling. You can apply it to a mapping program, such as mapsource as well...I am not sure if they can render a 3d version of the map (I use a different mapping software), but, if they can, it can likely show you in detail your ascent route & times.

The information is pretty straight forward.

From the Data Field Definitions in the manual, pg 93 (and I don't own the unit)

Ascent Maximum - the ascent rate in feet per minute

Descent Maximum - the descent rate in feet per minute

>>pretty self explanatory

Ascent Average - the average vertical destance of ascent

Descent Average - the vertical distance of descent

>>These are your averaged descent or ascent. You could have had to traverse a couple of ups and downs and this will give you an average between the two ups and two downs.

Ascent Total - the total distance ascended.

Descent Total - the total distance descended

>>Total distance travelled while ascending or descending.

I am starting to make hikes and was wondering:

I own a GPSMAP60Csx and the Trip Computer has a lot data. Some of the data include:

Ascent

Ascent Maximum

Ascent Total

Descent

Descent Maximum

Descent Total

Can these data be used for hiking?

:P

I'd say those are nice for logging afterwards. While hiking the obviously useful info is a) where you are, :D where your goal is and c) if you are going the right way to get there. The 60CSx can do that excellently. Ascent and descent data could help you confirm that yes, you climbed to a hilltop (or rather, halfway there).

Never ever forget to take a good paper topo map so you can relate a) :D and c) to that. No batteries needed.

Try this-- Record a track on your next hike. When you get home, use the Garmin MapSource application to upload the data to your PC, then save it as a GPX file. Load that GPX into Google Earth, and 'tilt' GE to get a three-dimensional view. We did Yosemite and the Grand Canyon last year, and the 3D views are amazing. We can hardly believe we did that stuff.

Try this-- Record a track on your next hike. When you get home, use the Garmin MapSource application to upload the data to your PC, then save it as a GPX file. Load that GPX into Google Earth, and 'tilt' GE to get a three-dimensional view. We did Yosemite and the Grand Canyon last year, and the 3D views are amazing. We can hardly believe we did that stuff.

Cool idea! I always start the hike by waypointing the Jeep. After the hike I download the tracks and put them on MapSource to see where I went. It also tells you the distance and time it took. For the altitude I use the profile. BUT next time I'll do what you mentioned and overlay Google Earth.

Oops! double post but that's OK I can edit it for a question that just popped into my mind. I notice that you can save tracks on the GPSr (Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx). Is there any sort of limit? In the next couple weeks we are going to be hiking on the various Hawaiian Islands and it would be cool to see the tracks for each day when we get back home to the mainland.

Edited by geospyder

Oops! double post but that's OK I can edit it for a question that just popped into my mind. I notice that you can save tracks on the GPSr (Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx). Is there any sort of limit? In the next couple weeks we are going to be hiking on the various Hawaiian Islands and it would be cool to see the tracks for each day when we get back home to the mainland.

I dont own either of those two units, I have the garmin 60csx but I believe its all the same for gamin as far as yes there is a limit on how many tracks you can hold... due to unit memory. Off the top of my head I can save 20 tracks to my GPSR. Check your owners manual for that info, it should specify

When all else fails, read the manual :) I just checked and I can save as many tracks as memory allows. Base memory on my unit is 24mb - BUT, I have a 2gb card in it for my maps. There is an option to save my tracks to the card. Currently I have the entire North American Map Source loaded to the card but I still have over 300mb unused. That should take care of my three weeks of hiking :)

I've often used an altimeter when hiking. That started long before the days of GPSr availability, and I still use one when the tree cover is dense enough to prevent GPSr functionality. The elevation functions of the 60csx work very much like an altimeter, meaning it keys of barometric pressure to determine elevation. (Check your elevation before going to bed and then check it again in the morning. It's amazing how far your bed traveled overnight!)

For this to be useful, then, you really need to do two things:

1. Calibrate the GPSr at the trail head. At least you will then have a good starting point for your elevation function.

2. Be aware of the weather. If the barometric pressure if falling, you're going to get a false high altitude reading. The opposite is true of the pressure is rising.

What I typically do when hiking is calibrate at the trail head, and I will double check my elevation at other known points (e.g. trail junctions, stream crossings, etc.)

A good topo map is always a necessary in the back country anyway. I never rely entirely on the GPSr. With a topo, compass, and altimeter, you're pretty well equipped even in the event of electrical failure.

I guess my point is that the ascent / descent information can be very useful both on the trail and off, provided you've calibrated the unit and you're aware of the fluctuations that can occur due to weather while you're on the trail.