WTB: Looking for a great deal on eTrex Vista® HCx

jt228

well with lots of searching online i came across a website selling for 187.00 however ya that is still to much for me. Perhaps I might wanna downgrade, so I was wondering, if I just wanted to go geocaching in the city for now, what is the minimal I need? I know about the H for high sensitivity and C that I would like for color, whats my alternatives if I wanna spend less than 100?

well with lots of searching online i came across a website selling for 187.00 however ya that is still to much for me. Perhaps I might wanna downgrade, so I was wondering, if I just wanted to go geocaching in the city for now, what is the minimal I need? I know about the H for high sensitivity and C that I would like for color, whats my alternatives if I wanna spend less than 100?

i would try craigslist or amazon

Well, I used an basic yellow etrex for years, both in the city as well as in the burbs. It will do everything you need it to do for geocaching and will cost you less than $50 on eBay.......that is the minimal that you will need. The H series units and the color ones are nice, but you do not *nned* them for caching.

John

Maybe you should look into the Legend HCx. I have seen them advertised new for about $185. Ebay probably has them cheaper. I am also in the market for a second unit for my better half. I have gotten many suggestions on the Megellan Meridian platinum. You can find those at just over $100 if you watch Ebay.

Anyone want to sell me an old eTrex Vista® HCx for cheap let me know as I'm new to geocaching and also a poor student taking up this hobby. Please post to this forum for best offer or negotiable, thanks.

Just a basic garmin etrex will do fine for a first unit. I found mine online, with data cable and S/H for right at $80 almost a year ago. Now that the "H" units are out the older units probably can be had for around 60$ or perhpas less. No color, but it will do a fine job of getting you to the coordinates.

Try to get the data transfer cable with it. Makes downloading the coordinates a breeze.

As far as what you can get for $100, the new eTrex H is right there in price.

It has absolutely no bells and whistles, but the receiver is the same as the more expensive models. I own an HCx, and play with H's at work. They'll receive 7-10 satellites in places I'd get none with my old Legend. Signal is what it's all about, IMHO. The color screen is nice, but if you haven't got any satellites...

The H doesn't come with the data cord, the only thing that bugged me when we got them for work.