Anyone have a dead GPSMAP 60 (any of the series?)

Rotareneg

The other day I noticed the case on my 60Cx had separated slightly, so I tried to tighten the screws. Unfortunately I discovered that some seemed to have been stripped as they just turned loosely. I opened the GPS up and discovered the problem: the corners of the plastic frame that the back half of the case screws into had shattered (the GPS has been dropped a couple times, but was otherwise working perfectly.) Here's a photo of it:

2291547817_ebac72cc62.jpg

I called Garmin and the person on the phone was unhelpful, and I haven't gotten a response to my email to them either. Googled the part number and found a German forum with somebody who had the same problem and successfully replaced theirs with one from an old GPSMAP 60, it just needed a little trimming to fit.

Anybody have a GPSMAP 60 (any model, new or old, even the original B&W version) that's not working and would be willing to either sell the whole thing or just the part I need?

Anybody have a GPSMAP 60 (any model, new or old, even the original B&W version) that's not working and would be willing to either sell the whole thing or just the part I need?

you can buy a new empty case, a "dummy".

I bougth one at horizonsnordsud.com, for 12$ cdn

A+

Back on Sept 1st 2007, my Map60Cx lost it's contact with the metal prongs that press up against the circuitboard, and they stick out of the battery compartment, so I bought some Jewelers screwdrivers from Radio Shack, then when I got home, found that I had trouble backing the screws out of the GPS, since the soft plastic had stripped out, then as I opened it, found that the same black frame as in yours had shattered also, so I bought a new 60CSx the next day. The 60Cx was a nightmare from day one with all kinds of power issues, and I bought it Feb 2, 2006. The early units had some troubles.

I would have to say that the case construction of the 60 series is quite bad, being on the cheap, probably to save on weight, being about 6 onces or less.

>>>you can buy a new empty case, a "dummy"

yes, all shops have them for demo (in europe).

>>I called Garmin and the person on the phone was unhelpful

i had the same experience - i think us-guys will have better support than eu-guys

using the black part you have to cut off 2 small parts

03.01.2008_18:37:22_gpsmap60csx-ersatzteil.jpg

I ended up putting the part back in and using the one good corner plus the two that directly attach to both sides of the case at the bottom of the GPS. Then I just taped the sides together using fiber-reinforced tape. I looked at horizonsnordsud.com but couldn't find any dummy cases.

Can you buy any "plastic weld" two part epoxy it works wonders for repairs like that and cures fast. Its available here in the USA.

There used to be lots of dummy cases available - for the 60 series these were the part numbers:

M01-60083-00 GPS 60 Dummy unit

M01-60080-00 GPSMAP 60C Dummy unit

M01-60081-00 GPSMAP 60CS Dummy unit

But I don't think they are available now. I have some repaired and broken GPS 60 units with the black part you need in good order so will get in touch directly.