Test puzzle.

Zolgar

So, I've been juggling this puzzle idea in my head. I don't know if it'll actually work though. I can't solve it myself because well.. I KNOW the answer.

So, I would like some people to try and solve it. The puzzle currently leads to the coordinates of an existing cache. But those are just test numbers.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Zol...rent=puzzle.jpg Is the puzzle.

I'm going to go with an honor system attempt here and ask that anyone who caches in tucson not attempt to solve it. but if you do. Oh well..

If too many people come up with "Uh, WTF?" I'll post directions on how to do it.

*friend is testing is and familiar with the puzzle type* there's a typo. the third column with numbers should read 1 4 not 1 5

Edited by Zolgar

I would tell you however, that you seriously need to make your album private. Your link opened to your entire account at photobucket.

that's okay. there's nothing on there other people shouldn't see. :anibad: Feel free to browse if you like

Now, considering the reaction of someone experienced with puzzles, I'm going to go ahead and explain more or less how it works.

The numbers around the edge of the grid, indicate how many squares are filled in in that row or column. with the bundling of numbers being how many are in a 'together.'

so for example the first column, indicating "5 4" means that there is a line of 5 unbroken, and then a line of 4 unbroken.

that knowledge and logic should be enough to make the puzzle solvable.

Edited by Zolgar

There are another two 'typos':

The second to last and the fourth to last rows need an aditional '1' (14 1's on the second to last row and 13 1's on the fourth to last)

Solved the puzzle in 2h30min without making any assumption of what the result is. By knowing what to expect, I solved it in 15 minutes.

Tip: If you draw the 0's without rounded corners, like a box, this particular puzzle becomes ten times easier to solve.

I recognize the puzzle style but don't have time to solve it right now. Just looking quickly at the grid and given that we have an idea of what the solution would be given the context of the site, I would think it wouldn't be to hard. Maybe in a hint point people to a site that has this kind of puzzle with solving tips.

There are another two 'typos':

The second to last and the fourth to last rows need an aditional '1' (14 1's on the second to last row and 13 1's on the fourth to last)

Solved the puzzle in 2h30min without making any assumption of what the result is. By knowing what to expect, I solved it in 15 minutes.

Tip: If you draw the 0's without rounded corners, like a box, this particular puzzle becomes ten times easier to solve.

You're quite right.. It's easy to miss one or add one when it's a whole string of numbers, especially when it's the same number. >.> Of course before a final version is produced, I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb to test everything..

And, thank you. You proved it is doable. My concern with it was that there would be multiple possible combinations. Wasn't too worried about the time it takes to solve (although I personally can't stand puzzle caches that take forever to solve.)

I may wind up tweaking the final version a bit, also. mebbe try to make it a little more difficult.

I'm a big fan of these paint by numbers puzzle, so I identified it right away.

I've seen another cache like this and thought about placing one that used this puzzle, but I too was concerned that there would be too many solutions.

In actuality, if you make certain assumptions of the degree and minute values, you can zip through this one pretty easily. However, I wouldn't make this much harder. These puzzle are fun, because that are easily solved but just take a little bit of your patience.