[60CSx] Cold start takes long to capture signal, right ?

xxgg

Hello.

So to my knowlodge when you cold start a GPS unit it does take few minutes to get some signal and lock in, right ?

This is what happened today. I had my 60CSx mounted in my car and drove to a nearby gas station. After pumping some gas in , I turned on my GPS and guess what happened? I had signal and it locked in within like... 20 seconds. (remember, this was first time turning it on today)

So even if it's not turned on but left out in the opening... it helps lock on to signal much faster ? It can't be working like that, right? Since GPS isn't being powered.

Don't know what happened but that must be how SiRFInstantFixII must feel???

Hello.

So to my knowlodge when you cold start a GPS unit it does take few minutes to get some signal and lock in, right ?

This is what happened today. I had my 60CSx mounted in my car and drove to a nearby gas station. After pumping some gas in , I turned on my GPS and guess what happened? I had signal and it locked in within like... 20 seconds. (remember, this was first time turning it on today)

So even if it's not turned on but left out in the opening... it helps lock on to signal much faster ? It can't be working like that, right? Since GPS isn't being powered.

Mine has done that since I got it. The only time it takes a bit is when I go from say TN to CO and then turn it on. When its relatively close to the last place it had a fix it takes a much shorter time to get a fix.

Hello.

The acquisition time from a cold start can be variable, depending on how long it has been off and how far you have moved from the previous location, but it rarely takes mine several minutes if I have good reception. The one exception to this is if you are moving when it is trying to acquire; it doesn't like that.

The acquisition time from a cold start can be variable, depending on how long it has been off and how far you have moved from the previous location, but it rarely takes mine several minutes if I have good reception. The one exception to this is if you are moving when it is trying to acquire; it doesn't like that.

This matches my experience. My 60CSx usually gets a lock on the satellites in less than a minute if I'm standing still or just walking slowly. However, if I turn the unit on while I'm driving down the road, it can take several minutes to acquire the sats. When that happens, I almost look forward to getting stopped by that next traffic light so the unit will have a chance to finally get a lock. :D

--Larry

I was wondering the samething? If mine has been off for a day or so it seems to take longer to initialize? Because it is so random I was actually wondering if something was wrong with the unit? Based on what you guys have described that is the same response I get.. If driving it may take a few mintues. If it's been a day or so it may take longer than if it was on earlier in the hike...