Looking For Listings Of Local Events And Clubs To Join

magnum50ae

I am a newbee at Geocaching but anxious to get out there. I have the equipment. But my question is are there any Organized Events and or Local Clubs in my area that I can join? Anyone know how to find this out?

I live in Sudbury Ontario 400 KM'S North Of Toronto?

Thanks!

Central Ontario Geocachers has pub events almost every month, but that is a little far away for you. (But you never know!)

Did you try searching for Event caches near your home coordinates?

I am a newbee at Geocaching but anxious to get out there. I have the equipment. But my question is are there any Organized Events and or Local Clubs in my area that I can join? Anyone know how to find this out?

I live in Sudbury Ontario 400 KM'S North Of Toronto?

Thanks!

You might want to contact Murfster. He may not be in your backyard, but he is "nearby". :ph34r: He is pretty active in your neck of the woods and well beyond.

As has been mentioned, Murfster (Don) is up in Timmins and does a fair number of events up there. I haven't seen too many in Sudbury. I have done a number up there as I have family there and get up a couple times a year so if you have any questions about local caches, let me know.

I'll be up again for the long weekend in May...plan an event, I'll be there!!

I am a newer cacher in Sudbury as well. I know that there are many active cachers up here but the only event that I have ever really heard of is the Rainbow Routes Geocache Hike and Seek. I know that there is a 2008 event in the works and I am sure that it will be announced on the radio and local TV news. If I hear more info on it I'll PM you what I find out. Also you can check out there site at www.rainbowroutes.com .

kayn_os

Edited by kayn_os

Timmins is just about as long a drive away as Toronto from Sudbury.

IF YOU HOLD AN EVENT, THEY WILL COME!!

I should have clarified...I will be up in Sudbury in May...I meant "Plan an event" for Sudbury for the long weekend in May and I'd be there. I know you'd likely get cachers from Timmins come down as well.

And no, its just just as far to Timmins there Juicy.... 3hrs to Timmins, 4hrs or so to Toronto (depends on hwy 69...long weekends, forget it!!!). Add ot that 10 minutes to get ANYWHERE in Timmins or a hour to get some places in Toronto on top of those times.......Now, Sudbury to COG Spring Fling...not that much further than to Timmins!!! I know Juicepig's thought is "get to Cog Spring Fling" and I'd agree, its worth the little bit longer drive.

I will agree though, in all my times up in Sudbury, I have not seen an event planned.

Cheers!

Timmins is just about as long a drive away as Toronto from Sudbury.

IF YOU HOLD AN EVENT, THEY WILL COME!!

And no, its just just as far to Timmins there Juicy.... 3hrs to Timmins, 4hrs or so to Toronto

Pssssssh, I meant just as long of a drive (should you drive according to posted speed limits) according to google maps:

Sudbury to Toronto - 381 km – about 4 hours 18 mins

Sudbury To Timmins - 294 km – about 4 hours 2 mins

So i suppose timmins is MUCH quicker to get tooo.. yesss... :o

I haven't mentioned spring fling 2008 yet.. but yes it will be worth the drive which is significantly less then a trip to timmins (292 km – about 3 hours 25 mins), although the terrain is much different!

In the mean time, sudburians are welcome to use a forum I set up for them to organize Sudbury events, or get to know eachother until they can set up their own Geocaching organization. Feel free to stay as long as you want!

COG SUDBURY DISCUSSION BOARD:

http://www.centralontariogeocachers.com/fo...wforum.php?f=20

:D My suggestion would have been .. and you did it already .. post a query in the forums. (There was another cacher from Sudbury awhile back asking the same thing.)

My first event was a simple meet for coffee cache. I just put in for an event on a Saturday 10 am, meet at the local Tim Hortons. I'd be the guy with the GPS on the table. It was great only 2 couples showed up but it was a start.. the third event had over 20. You may have to be the one to start it. My worst fear was nobody would show.. but I doubt that would happen and ... who'd know. :anicute:

Timmins is a bit of a drive but there are a half dozen finds along the way and lots when you get here. You could go back by Hwy 11 and pick up caches that way as well. I don't hear much from North Bay either but there are a lot there. Sault St. Marie has lots of good cachs as well.

Our next event .. (perhaps 2 of them) will be May 10th with a WWFM III.. ( Look up www.podcaster.com to learn more about that.

I'll send you an e-mail.

Murfster

Pssssssh, I meant just as long of a drive (should you drive according to posted speed limits) according to google maps:

Sudbury to Toronto - 381 km – about 4 hours 18 mins

Sudbury To Timmins - 294 km – about 4 hours 2 mins

So i suppose timmins is MUCH quicker to get tooo.. yesss... :anicute:

Speed limits?????????

Surprised to see it say over 4 hours to Timmins when its only 294km. Sheesh, that's less than 80km an hour!! Actually, I usually average around 100km/hr so it does take me 3 hours.

That being said, I remember growing up in Timmins and taking a weekend trip down to Sudbury (my buddy and I thought we'd apply to the military and it was the closest recruiting center). I had my 77 Camaro at the time and we did it in less than 2 hours...about an hour and 45 minutes I think it was. Then again, maybe the cities were closer then....

To Murfster's point about the caches between Sudbury and Timmins, only a couple are winter friendly, the rest would be waist high snow slugs this time of year and probably bruied under the same amount. South of Sudbury, there are some heading down to Parry Sound and further but not tons. East os Sudbury, past Coppercliffe there isn't a lot. Head that way then south of North Bay, there are a ton right along Hwy 11.

Now up in Timmins, there is an absolute ton of caches, though there are a number of them put out by one particular cacher that will just p*ss you off. Still having flashbacks Don.......

Plug in with Murfster, he's the "pulse" of caching in the north!