Magellan Mapsource questions

Sold my 60csx and was planning on buying a Colorado, but decided to wait for them to get the unit working better before I purchased. So I got a used Magellan Meridian Color on Craigslist to tide me over for a few months. Figured it would be Fun to play with a different companies unit for awhile. But I need some maps. I know the Garmin scheme on maps and serial #'s but not quite sure on magellan. From what I can gather When you create the map tiles you have to specify the S/N of the unit it will be used in, and it will only work in that unit. Does that mean that as long as I have the disks I can put maps on the unit. Is this true for topo and Direct route? Is it true for all version of mapsend topo? I tried "asking maggie" on the magellan site, what a joke, it came back with a list of 48 "possible" answers to my question. Anyways any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by sanramonhunter

For future reference: Mapsource are Garmin maps, Mapsend are Magellan maps.

With the meridian color you can use the older mapsend topo 4.20 which has no unlock sceme what so ever. These maps aren't much different than the newer mapsend topo 3D & are also VERY cheap if you can find them.

Edited by hogrod

With the meridian color you can use the older mapsend topo 4.20 which has no unlock sceme what so ever. These maps aren't much different than the newer mapsend topo 3D & are also VERY cheap if you can find them.

Sorry, got garmin on the brain. So topo 4.20 no unlock topo 3d requires unlock. Does directroute require an unlock as well?

The 3-D TOPO part only works on the PC not the unit so 4.2 has worked just fine for me.

DirectRoute Ver 1 or 2 does not require an unlock. Version 3 does lock you into using it on only 1 computer though, if I remember correctly.

DR maps are tied to unit serial number found on the About screen, NOT the one in the battery compartment.

Edited by sledgehampster

And TomTom's are MapShare and Lowrances are MapCreate. I think Delorme's are Delorme, way to go and break the implied naming scheme.

The 3-D TOPO part only works on the PC not the unit so 4.2 has worked just fine for me.

DirectRoute Ver 1 or 2 does not require an unlock. Version 3 does lock you into using it on only 1 computer though, if I remember correctly.

DR maps are tied to unit serial number found on the About screen, NOT the one in the battery compartment.

Almost right. DirectRoute V3 only lets you transfer maps to only one gps, but download them to more than one computer. So you can download maps to a home computer and traveling laptop, for instance, and transfer from either computer to a single gps. Actually, that's not quite accurate either. You CAN transfer the maps to a different gps, you just can't open them! (I've tried it)