Deleting a post

Peconic Bay Sailors

I am contantly, inadvertantly, posting duplicate posts...

It ust happened to me, again, on another thread...

probably by using the back button...

Is there a way to completely delete a post? or maybe Grounspeak could add that feature?

or your keyboard is really screwed up and you mis-spell everything?

Would also come in handy if you make a stupid post you regret later on... :lol:

I know other message boards where this is an option...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Hello, I merged your two threads together since you made different points in the two posts. And, the duplicate threads poignantly illustrate your complaint.

Yes, duplicate posts, duplicate threads and "hung up" forum screens are frustrating. We all wish that the forums worked perfectly all the time. Here are some tips to avoid frustration and duplicate posts:

1. Before making a long post, copy all the text into your clipboard so you don't lose it forever if the post doesn't go through. (In Firefox, there's a Greasemonkey extension that does this for me automatically)

2. If the screen freezes up when you submit your post, don't press the "Add Reply" button multiple times, or refresh, or backspace, etc. Rely on your saved copy, then go back to the thread and see if your post went through. If it didn't, then post again.

Here is what the forum guidelines have to say on this subject, and why the board settings are as they are:

Any messages you post will stay available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Please post carefully, once you have posted your message it is here to stay. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to these guidelines.

Moderators are happy to clean up obvious duplicate posts, duplicate threads, empty threads without opening posts, etc. Well, maybe "happy" is an overstatement, but it is part our job of ensuring an orderly, useful forum, and that is a happy thing.

What we don't like is for someone to post an inflammatory topic and then later edit it out or delete it when people disagree. Think first, post carefully, and then stand by your post. The 24 hour edit window is a good compromise to allow for corrections.

Thanks Keystone for the reply...

Every once on a while I keep getting "webpage not found" or "webpage unavailable" and when i do a refresh...

The webpage then reloads, but...

I end up with either duplicate posts or duplicate replies...

The Groundspeak website is the only site this happens to me on a regular basis...

I do have an excellent ISP... Verizon FIOS...

It's not them... I don't get this problem elsewhere...

No, not firewall issue either... Happens with it on or off...

tried it both ways...

Probably a website/server glitch...

I can understand that TPTB do not want to let people delete posts at will, but I think that it would be very useful if users could delete any of their own posts that do not yet have any replies. This would allow people to delete their own accidental duplicates as well as posts they instantly regret. It would really clean up the forums as well.

Just clear the text from the duplicate, and replace it with

[dup post removed]

It happens enough that people will understand.

Yeah... that's what I do now...

Just thought I'd mention it as I have seen the feature on other message boards...

It was just a thought, not really that important... it's a little thing...

and from Keystone's reply I can see the reasoning behind it...

I usually just hit the refresh button out of habit... gotta remember to stop doing that here...

I have a bad habit of clicking before I think... :)

When the screen hangs and times out I simply go directly into the forum. I never back up or refresh and my posts have always been submitted. I can't even remember the last time I had a duplicate post.

I have several of the individual forums listed as icons on my browser tool bar so it's easy for me to jump right back to where I was.

Edited by BlueDeuce

When the screen hangs and times out I simply go directly into the forum. I never back up or refresh and my posts have always been submitted. I can't even remember the last time I had a duplicate post.

I have several of the individual forums listed as icons on my browser tool bar so it's easy for me to jump right back to where I was.

That is what I do as well - I never have dups. Though it does seem to hang quite often.

I can understand that TPTB do not want to let people delete posts at will, but I think that it would be very useful if users could delete any of their own posts that do not yet have any replies. This would allow people to delete their own accidental duplicates as well as posts they instantly regret. It would really clean up the forums as well.

The forums run on canned software. You use the options it came with. Customization of canned software is a journey down a dark road no one wants to take. (Just speaking as someone who used to have to update canned software that had been highly customized. It was a task they passed around to different people, because if they made someone do it twice, they usually quit.)