GSAK Help Needed

Dr. Whoever

I've been caching for quite some time but still rely on paper at times.

I want to either use my PDA or Smart Phone to load cache mate or another program to take with me out and about.

I'm just confused as all get out about GSAK.

How do you get this thing to give you the hints?

Really that's all I want although the description would be nice too.

If there's a real tech person who can spell out a step by step example for me I'd gladly send them a new unactivated Geocoin for the trouble. I really mean a step by step example. I am the most un-tech person on earth I think.

Send any help available here: canningcastle@charter.net

It is easy to get the name of the cache, and even part of the hint, when sending the waypoints to your GPS. Use the codes in the "Smart Name" feature. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank:

%Name=10 %hint

This rudimentary GSAK tutorial might be helpful.

You can mix and match the codes anyway you want to get the information that is important for you. If you have a Garmin 'x' version, you can use Garmin's POI Loader to put the caches on the GPSr as Points of Interest following the instructions in this thread.

For those, I use different "smart name" codes for the "Cache Description," since the POIs can have more information.

%Name %By %Hint %Code

Some people are Geocache name people, others are Waypoint ID people. I'm the latter. For a geocache with the waypoint ID of GC1234, Difficulty 1.5, Terrain 2.5, regular sized cache, traditional type, I use GSAK to convert this to: 1234T24R

Then with the remaining space, I throw in the "smart" name of the cache. So this becomes:

%drop2%typ1%dif1%ter1%con1 %smart

That's from memory for what I used with my eXplorist, so I may have gotten one of the substitution variables wrong. And actually, my name string is much longer, because I have a child waypoint format that is different from the geocache waypoint.

My approach for how I use GSAK with my Colorado is much different, and will probably change again once they get the caches displaying on the map. Heck, once that happens, I could probably just skip GSAK altogether and just manage what I want to go for via the PQs. That sure would simplify my life.

--Marky

Thank you both

An in person demo is probably the best way to learn the ins and outs of GSAK. Most people learn about 5% of GSAK's capabilities and stick with those. Once you have a routine down that works for you, it's very easy to use. Learning new stuff sometimes isn't so easy. :anibad:

--Marky