Garmin 60csx ?

snowyaker1

I am looking to get a new GPS and I am looking at the Garmin 60Csx right now, I was wondering what are the big advantages or disadvantages of this unit compared to the Colorado 300 or the 60cx, or in fact any other of the Garmin Units. Please i need hand on opinions so i can make the best decision.

Scroll through the forum threads below and you will see tons of info on both models. I had to make the same decision myself a few weeks ago and settled on the 60csx. The 60 series is solid and proven technology and I can't say I've seen many negatives discussed about it anywhere. The Colorado is new and apparently has quite a few issues that need to be ironed out still. I looked at the Colorado and drooled over the pretty screen and 3d detail, but my primary use is going to be hiking. I will have my 24K map in hand anyway. Now I will just able to find my exact positioning on that map.

I bought a Triton 1 week before I got my 60csx. It also had problems and it locked up on me during my first hike with it. Learning a new technology and having technical difficulties (gpsr failure) steepened the gps learning curve for me. What I'm saying is it was nice to take the 60csx out of the box and have it do exactly what the manual said it was going to do. If you are already familiar with gps technology a Colorado and it's expanded capabilities might be your best option. Hopefully the technical glitches won't confuse you!

There is also the cost. I got mine delivered to my front door for 305 bucks at walmart online, another 70 for Topo sw and I'm in business. The Colorado is going to run a bit more....

"I can't say I've seen many negatives discussed about it anywhere."

I've seen a few. Like this for example, or this where the Media tek chip in the eTrex HCx is better than the Sirfstar, in difficult condition. Not much better but enough to make you consider the smaller lighter brighter Vista HCx.

Colorado still seems to be in beta mode.

I'd consider a Vista HCx; cheaper, smaller and possibly higher sensitivity than the 60CSx. However, it lacks an external antenna port and has less intuitive button layout so it takes a little bit more getting used to early on in the learning curve. Once you have the knack the button arrangement feels like second nature and are VERY well arranged.

Colorado has a bunch more bells and whistles for more cash. It needs some more love by Garmin to be a great geocaching unit.

I am looking to get a new GPS and I am looking at the Garmin 60Csx right now, I was wondering what are the big advantages or disadvantages of this unit compared to the Colorado 300 or the 60cx, or in fact any other of the Garmin Units. Please i need hand on opinions so i can make the best decision.

To get the most helpful answers, I'd suggest you list out what are the various usages of the GPS you have in mind and in what priorities (e.g. geocaching, hiking, auto routing etc.).

What's your tolerance to live with a beta level product that has strong potential to become very good over time (if you answered positively, go with the Colorado, otherwise stick with the trusty, if somewhat older, 60CSx).

What's your budget and how long do you plan on owning the unit (if you can spend ~$400 or so now and again in another year, go with the 60CSx for now and upgrade to the Colorado a year from now ... if you are investing for a good number of years, may be get the Colorado).

Then look at the other anciallry features these products have and see how important they are to you (do you plan to do paperless geocaching ? are you interested in Wherigo ? how important are 3D maps and DEM to you ?)

Personally, if I were exactly in the same boat as you, I'd probably get the Colorado (yes, I am the adventerous type ... in true sense of the word :) ). I already own a 60CSx which I am very happy with ... but I still might get the Colorado couple months down the road.

Of course the 60Cx is just like the 60CSx EXCEPT without the S ... S=sensors - the electronic compass and altimeter.

I find the electronic compass VERY handy when geocaching or when movement is limited (like on a boat). It only adds about $30 to the price. Some say it draws too much power, but it is easy enough to turn off with one button push. I got the 60CSx. You won't be sorry if you get it. Living in the Illinois flat lands I don't get a whole lot of use from the altimeter, though it was fun to watch when we took the train to Glacier National Park.

If you get it make sure (1) you get a screen protector from invisibleshield.com - nice product! and (2) get a 12V power connector for your car. I use mine for routing in my car ALLLL the time.

The big draw of the Colorado is the paperless caching, along with some other features, I am not so hyped up about Wherigo, but it could be interesting. Like several of you have already said the down side to the Colorado is that it still appears to be in Beta mode, as that it has not reached its full potential. As for the length of time I would like to be able to use the unit I purchase for the next several years. My biggest concern is will I be able to get used to a unit like this for the last couple of years I have been using an Etrex legend, simple but effective unit.

@'kenk'

Some say it [compass] draws too much power...

And they'd be dead wrong.

@'Maingray

"However, [the HCx] ...has less intuitive button layout [than the 60CSx]..."

Many who know both units well would say the opposite. It's more intuitive when appropriate buttons fall where ones fingers naturally sit. For example to zoom in and out while viewing the map with the 60CSx you need to remember (or read) which button does which and the buttons are in a strange position. However on the HCx the zoom buttons fall right where your thumb is, the closer button zooms closer and the further button zooms out, pretty intuitive.

@'Maingray

"However, [the HCx] ...has less intuitive button layout [than the 60CSx]..."

Many who know both units well would say the opposite. It's more intuitive when appropriate buttons fall where ones fingers naturally sit. For example to zoom in and out while viewing the map with the 60CSx you need to remember (or read) which button does which and the buttons are in a strange position. However on the HCx the zoom buttons fall right where your thumb is, the closer button zooms closer and the further button zooms out, pretty intuitive.

Right, which is why I said that over time you realize that actually the layout is just perfect on the Etrexes :) . I much prefer them over the 60 / 76 layout.

I was watching a review on the Colorado and I was very disappointed to find out that you can not add or take away caches say you found a second way point on a multi you would have to go back to your computer and enter it through the included software. This is a huge down side. The reviewer also said he is taking his Colorado back to get a 60CSX. if there are any Colorado owners out there what do you know about that.

This one is a no-brainer. I spent $300 for a GPS unit three years ago and got a black and white eTrex Legend in a package deal. Today, you can buy the GPSmap 60 CSx for $300. Do you really want to pay twice that for a Colorado, even if in 60 months is slices and butters your bread? Likewise, do you want to pay $50 - $75 less for a lesser unit? If you're serious about having a GPS unit in your hand daily and you're making a decision, the GPSmap 60 CSx is the only choice to consider.

I was watching a review on the Colorado and I was very disappointed to find out that you can not add or take away caches say you found a second way point on a multi you would have to go back to your computer and enter it through the included software. This is a huge down side. The reviewer also said he is taking his Colorado back to get a 60CSX. if there are any Colorado owners out there what do you know about that.

This is absolutely false. I don't know where you got your information and I was told the same thing, but that's silly. What use would a GPS be if you couldn't immediately mark a waypoint?

Marking a waypoint can't be simpler with the Colorado: Hold down on the center button of the Rockin' Roller and a waypoint is generated. You can then change the name, symbol, comment, location, elevation, and depth. You also, immediately delete the waypoint or view it on the map.

Someone is really out to hurt Garmin with spreading disinformation like this.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!