City Navigator Maps

DruNuts

I'm sorry that I am a total noob! I read on another thread that when you register your maps with garmin, they offer you a free map upgrade. I wasn't sure if this is true and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. I was also wondering which city navigator I should buy. Whats the difference between them? So confused ;)

I just had this very conversation with Garmin a few days ago. They have done away with free updates on their maps and all maps are now single unit use. Now you are required to buy a seperate map cd for each unit. Then when you update there is a fee. I think I was quoted $75 per update but don't quote me on that. I have City Select and had one use code left so I was able to load that on my 400t. My personal opinion as a City Select user is that I should be able to upgrade to City Navigator being that Garmin discontinued Select. But nope, I have to buy a new full version of City Navigator for each 400t. We own two.

I just had this very conversation with Garmin a few days ago. They have done away with free updates on their maps and all maps are now single unit use. Now you are required to buy a seperate map cd for each unit. Then when you update there is a fee. I think I was quoted $75 per update but don't quote me on that. I have City Select and had one use code left so I was able to load that on my 400t. My personal opinion as a City Select user is that I should be able to upgrade to City Navigator being that Garmin discontinued Select. But nope, I have to buy a new full version of City Navigator for each 400t. We own two.

They really know how to nickel and dime us! What is the better version of city navigator? City navigator 2008 or city navigator NT v.8?

I think there is some confusion here.....

When you FIRST unlock City Select or Navigator, you are entitled to ONE free upgrade to the current version. If you have City Select (which allows two unlocks), the second unit can be unlocked to the original version, but not upgraded. Make sure you unlock the second unit BEFORE upgrading the first. After upgrading the second unlock vanishes.

When you FIRST unlock City Select or Navigator, you are entitled to ONE free upgrade to the current version. If you have City Select (which allows two unlocks), the second unit can be unlocked to the original version, but not upgraded. Make sure you unlock the second unit BEFORE upgrading the first. After upgrading the second unlock vanishes.

Select has been replaced by Navigator and there are no second unit unlock codes anymore. I went into great detail with the tech and he even checked to make sure. You are correct that there were second unlock codes for a second unit with select. They have now done away with that for navigator. That is why I have to buy two full versions. We also talked about the free upgrade and I am fairly certain that they are charging for all upgrades now. I tried to get them to let me upgrade from select to navigator and that was a no.

1. Am I correct in thinking that this same thing applies to City Navigator North America v8 NT? I have only used 1 of the 2 unlock codes that were available at the time I bought it. In Dec. I received the free upgrade dvd from Garmin "Map Update 2008, City Navigator North America NT" but have not used it yet?

2. If I don't use it, can I still use one of the 2 original unlock codes that came with my CN N.A. v8 NT on another unit?

3. Can the "Map Update 2008, City Navigator North America NT" dvd do a full install on another GPS - not the unit that the original unlock code was used on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, I'll add my $0.02 in here.

Way back in antiquity, I purchased a GPSmap 60C and City Select North America v6.0. Over the years I have upgraded the software to City Navigator North America v8. This is the version I'm currently running, BTW. Just last week I purchased a Colorado 300, initially, I had difficulty sending CN maps to this new GPS and figured I was SOL and would have to purchase an additional license for it. But I figured out how to do it by going to by fiddling around in the my.garmin.com section. Eventually I discovered a link to shop.garmin.com and I clicked on "Unlock Additional GARMIN Unit" and it gave me a 25-character unlock code for the CN v8 maps for the Colorado.

I don't really know how I did it, or why it worked, but it did! ;) I initially was attempting to unlock the maps for the Colorado from within MapSource and I wasn't having any luck until I jumped onto the my.garmin.com website.

Select has been replaced by Navigator and there are no second unit unlock codes anymore. I went into great detail with the tech and he even checked to make sure. You are correct that there were second unlock codes for a second unit with select. They have now done away with that for navigator. That is why I have to buy two full versions. We also talked about the free upgrade and I am fairly certain that they are charging for all upgrades now. I tried to get them to let me upgrade from select to navigator and that was a no.

Yes...

But....

If you buy an old (and unlocked) copy of City Select.... You can unlock it to two units... THEN upgrade one unlock for free to CN2008.

If you buy an old (and unlocked) copy of City Select.... You can unlock it to two units... THEN upgrade one unlock for free to CN2008.
The same should (does) apply to City Nav v8.

I recomend getting the Garmin GPS 18 Deluxe as it comes with City Select and costs the same as just getting the maps. So you get two unlocks (one can be upgraded to v2008) and you can also sell the gps on ebay to recupe some costs.

I find their current map license policy very frustrating. I tend to buy their new GPSr models as they come out, and I'm not quick to sell off the old ones. I wish they had a licensing system where a license could be associated with any ONE receiver at a time -- but could be transfered from one unit to another. The system would have to be set up do deactivate the map set on the old unit (via connection to Garmin's website) before you could activate it on another one.

The way I use their products, I have a bunch of units lying around -- an old Vista, a 60C, a Vista Cx, with map sets on them that I'm not using, but can't transfer to a unit that I *am* using.

Adobe software has a licensing model like this, where you can deactivate their software packages on one computer and then activate them on another. It seems more fair to me than the way the maps are handled at Garmin.

I like Garmin's hardware and service the best though (current Colorado issues aside), so I tolerate the rules for the mapping software and keep paying over and over for the same thing. They're lucky they have me. :D

The same should (does) apply to City Nav v8.

I recomend getting the Garmin GPS 18 Deluxe as it comes with City Select and costs the same as just getting the maps. So you get two unlocks (one can be upgraded to v2008) and you can also sell the gps on ebay to recupe some costs.

from the above link

Q: "If I buy a GPS18USB Deluxe or GPS18PC Deluxe will I be able to load the City Navigator* maps onto a regular handheld autorouting GPS such as the GPSMAP 60C or GPSMAP 76C series?""

A: "No, Garmin no longer offers a second unlock.""

from the above link

Q: "If I buy a GPS18USB Deluxe or GPS18PC Deluxe will I be able to load the City Navigator* maps onto a regular handheld autorouting GPS such as the GPSMAP 60C or GPSMAP 76C series?""

A: "No, Garmin no longer offers a second unlock.""

I just did this today. Unlocked a new un-used CS6 to TWO units and then upgraded one to CN2008 for free.