I Want The Garmin 400T....

I wanted to replace my 60CSX with a 400T...but after reading all the reviews / comments I'll wait until some revisions come out.

I wanted the 400T for the "Where-I-Go"...but I'll probably buy a PPC to start working on a cartridge for now...maybe that Mio-350 that was used for the "Where-I-Go" development.

Yes but if he waits, he knows the unit is working (since he is watching the updates) and his unit will be maybe a little, maybe a lot cheaper. But almost certainly cheaper. Also if they do a hardware revision change he will have benifeted from that as well.

You've realized that the revisions will most likely come just as soon, or late, whether you already own the unit or not?

Yes but if he waits, he knows the unit is working (since he is watching the updates) and his unit will be maybe a little, maybe a lot cheaper. But almost certainly cheaper. Also if they do a hardware revision change he will have benifeted from that as well.

You've realized that the revisions will most likely come just as soon, or late, whether you already own the unit or not?

One of the joys of being an early adopter is that you get to play some small part in shaping the features the unit provides. If you wait until the updates have slowed, then your "pet peeves" will have less of a chance of being addressed (in my opinion).

--Marky

If I had the cash I would buy one right now. If it was a Magellan, who are known for their sub standard customer service, I would definitely wait. But its Garmin who has outstanding customer service. If it is having problems, they will take care of you.

Using history as a benchmark; the customer service of Garmin has been excellent. Unfortunately, their customer service reps don't even know how to use the Colorado at this time. Three of the four I've spoken to don't even know the basic functions and have not even had a chance to "play" with the unit. Talking to these guys over the phone was like talking to a wall. E-mailing customer service has been even less productive. You end up with partial responses that are irrelevant at best.

One school of thought is to just sit back and let them sort out the issues. Unfortunately, this will only result in updates and improvements they deem necessary. The other school of thought is to offer our insight and field tested knowledge during the process. Again, this does not alway result in productive improvements in practical functionality since our agenda may not be in line with Garmin's vision or the limitations of the platform. It sure would have been nice if Garmin had included us in the R&D since one of the advertised features is an enhanced "Geocaching Mode."

Now I'm sure things will get better, but I truely doubt much of our voiced concerns are even making it past the CSR's. As it currently stands; the Colorado has Porche body with a Yugo powertrain and performance.

IMHO, the Beta testers need to be proactive, assertive, and positive in their evaluations and feedback to Garmin under the assumption that Garmin values their input.

***You've realized that the revisions will most likely come just as soon, or late, whether you already own the unit or not?***

Yes, but what happens if they need to do a hardware/firmware change (new chip) to handle some of the fixes/features...the unit is new and a lot can happen yet.

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

***True, but then I thought you would have stated that you wanted to replace your current GPS with something else, in a year or two. I got the impression you were ready to jump ship right now.***

Yes, I was ready to jump ship. I have a 60CSX and was ready to get the Colorado as soon as it was available...but after seeing all the problems...I'll wait a while now.

One of the joys of being an early adopter is that you get to play some small part in shaping the features the unit provides. If you wait until the updates have slowed, then your "pet peeves" will have less of a chance of being addressed (in my opinion).

--Marky

That is right. Though the frustration of spending $500 on a brand new unit that has several problems could leave you to despair.

I'd wait. Bug will get fix and price will go down.

--Marky

That is right. Though the frustration of spending $500 on a brand new unit that has several problems could leave you to despair.

I'd wait. Bug will get fix and price will go down.

That's one of the reasons I buy from REI. You generally pay list (minus your kickback at the end of the year, if you are a member), but you have the security of knowing that if all doesn't go well, you can just return it and they'll happily take it off your hands. If the next update for the Triton 2000 doesn't make the unit usable, it is going to be returned for a second Colorado. :D

--Marky