Averaging and how it can help with Geocaching

DruNuts

I was just wondering how to use averaging effectively and how I can use it to help find caches. I have a Garmin Vista Hcx, and I havn't really messed around with the averaging yet. I'm not really even sure HOW to use it yet. If anybody can help out it would be appreciated.

I'm pretty new at this myself, but from what I've read, "averaging" isn't used to help one find caches but rather it is a method of obtaining accurate coordinates when hiding a cache. You set your GPSr to take multiple readings at a particular hide and then take the average of all of those readings. You then use that "averaged" set of coordinates when posting your cache.

If I'm incorrect here, I'm sure that one of the old pro's will correct me.

I was just wondering how to use averaging effectively and how I can use it to help find caches. I have a Garmin Vista Hcx, and I havn't really messed around with the averaging yet. I'm not really even sure HOW to use it yet. If anybody can help out it would be appreciated.

I'm pretty new at this myself, but from what I've read, "averaging" isn't used to help one find caches but rather it is a method of obtaining accurate coordinates when hiding a cache. You set your GPSr to take multiple readings at a particular hide and then take the average of all of those readings. You then use that "averaged" set of coordinates when posting your cache.

I just had another birthday, so I don't know about "old" pro, but you are exactly right. :D

You are correct but you "could" actually use averaging to find a cache in the event that you were getting a signal that was really bouncing around. You'd have to keep the unit stationary and let it average for a few minutes. Once you've done that .. you could compare your position coordinates to the listed coordinates.

This, of course, is only applicable if the cache owner posted accurate coordinates. :D

It should be noted that I have never actually tried this as it requires more patience that I possess. I am content to race around in a circle as fast I can when I get near a cache.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

You would use averaging for creating a waypoint, not for finding one.

As far as its usefulness in geocaching, I've found it to be a waste of time. If you have a good signal you don't need it. If you have a lousy signal, you are averaging bad data.

Can averaging make your coordinates more accurate? Certainly. Properly done (best case over a period of several days) averaging can make your coordinates more accurate, but not enough to make it worth the time.

You are correct but you "could" actually use averaging to find a cache in the event that you were getting a signal that was really bouncing around. You'd have to keep the unit stationary and let it average for a few minutes. Once you've done that .. you could compare your position coordinates to the listed coordinates.

This, of course, is only applicable if the cache owner posted accurate coordinates. :D

It should be noted that I have never actually tried this as it requires more patience that I possess. I am content to race around in a circle as fast I can when I get near a cache.

I highlighted why a hunter should not bother with averaging.

Can averaging make your coordinates more accurate? Certainly. Properly done (best case over a period of several days) averaging can make your coordinates more accurate, but not enough to make it worth the time.

Several days? I was thinking more in terms of several minutes.

Is it possible for a GPSr to take an average over several days? Or would you have to take (for instance) three separate averages on three separate days (at the same, identical spot) and then manually average those three GPSr generated averages?

Several days? I was thinking more in terms of several minutes.

Is it possible for a GPSr to take an average over several days? Or would you have to take (for instance) three separate averages on three separate days (at the same, identical spot) and then manually average those three GPSr generated averages?

If you are going to average over several days, I would also change the time of day - maybe one in the a.m., one at noon and one in the p.m. I've never done that - I usually use the minutes method instead of days - and I've had several comments on how accurate the coords were.

I think what you are looking for is how to use the AVG on your waymark page.

I have the HCx Vista also and all you do is:

Markwaypoint and then on the bottom left of the page you will see "Avg"

Hit this button and lay the GPS down where you want the cache to be, wait 2 or 3 min's and it will give you your avg.

you can also approach the cache from diff directions and write down the coords from each approach. I prefer the avg key.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Averaging has not really been necessary since SA was turned off, years ago. Back then, a pseudo-random error was added to the signal. Average enough waypoints, and you eventually get better coordinates. But that's gone away, and most of the errors we get now aren't statistically random, so simple averaging is little use, beyond just giving you a warm fuzzy feeling about your coordinates. I have a feeling that's why it's still included on some GPS models. It's a very easy function to implement, and it makes people have more confidence in their numbers, even if it's false confidence.