Garmin Vista HCX or 60 CSX...

Ok, my mind had been made up to get the Vista HCX because it is $66 cheaper at Amazon and for not much more than that I can get the Vista with the topo map. But after reading about the low speed issue, which doesn't appear to be fully fixed, and now the total assent error, I am reconsidering my choice. If price wasn't an issue, would you get the 60 CSX over the Vista HCX?

Is there hope that Garmin will get the issues worked out with the Vista anytime soon?

Edited by TravelingSquirrel

I would still get the Vista HCx, but then again, my Vista does not have the low speed issue. I have not looked at the ascent issue - and I would't care as I have never used it.

But I prefer the Vista for other reasons. It's smaller/lighter, has a significantly brighter backlight, takes up less space on my crowded bike handlebars, and uses less battery juice.

What I like about the 60's (I have 60CS) is the front button arrangement and larger screen. I like the external antenna connection - although I have never used it, and, most likely, never will.

For me, no doubt: the 60 csx.

I have the impression, that Garmin has some problems (small, but still problems) with the mtk receiver, both in the new etrexes (vista, legend) or the colorado.

Since more than one year I don't have any issues with the 60 CSX and it's sirf receiver.

I also prefer the front buttons. I use eneloop accus and have no problems with battery time, though the Vista might be better here.

I own a 60Cx and bought the Vista Hcx several weeks ago to replace it (my son now uses the 60Cx).

Both are good but I like the small size and bright screen of the Vista. I thought the thumb stick thingy would bug me but now I prefer it. The trip odometer isn't important to me so the problem with that hasn't been an issue even before the fix that Garmin released (ver 2.6). Tracks are important to me and the Vista does a good job with tracks although I think the 60Cx was a little better in this area. The Vista still works really well and keeps a good lock just like the 60Cx. The Vista also has a "cold weather" washed out screen issue (discussed on another thread) but a restart seems to take care of it. The screen on the Vista is so incredibly bright and clear that I don't need my glasses to see it (that can't be said for the 60Cx series!). So the Vista does have a few minor issues but I still much prefer the Vista over my 60Cx.

I just bought a vista hcx to replace my legend cx. I was considering a colorado 400t, but decided I couldn't justify $500 vs. $228 for the vista.

I like the size, plus I am already familiar with the button and menu layout. Plus, it uses the same bike mount as the legend. And, it is smaller than the 60.

I don't think you can go wrong with either device.

If you can go to a store that stocks both units, you can handle each to see which one feels best to you. I really like my Vista HCx and the Trip Odometer issue is better since the last firmware update. I prefer the "click stick" compared to the "rocker button" and Enter button action of the 60CSx.

I have both the 60CSx and the Vista HCx (and now a Colorado 400t !!), and each has its benefits. I find the 60CSx easier to read and easier to use. I find the stick on the Vista frustrating -- mostly when trying to click with it.

I've found them to be about equally sensitive and equally accurate -- although vertical speed is quirky with both. The performance is similar enough that I would choose just on ergonomics. The Vista is sleek and compact, and the 60 lets me see more on the screen.

If price is not an issue, for most uses I'd get the 60CSx.

I generally use the Vista for bicycling, because it has a much more secure handlebar mount. The 60 has flown out of its mount on bumps. For hiking and "daily carry", it's the 60CSx.

Well you guys are no help! :D Seems opinions are split so I still don't have a clear winner.

I use an HCx although I only sell the 60CSx because it's easier to sell even though it's not as good a unit.

I've used the 60CSx for a while now and my opinion on the button layout has not changed. It's crocked. The rocker has no tactile feedback. Even the 76CSx has a bit of tactile feedback and the buttons are better with regards to ergonomics.

The 60CSx screen is really really dull. The screen also has this stupid bar across the top to tell you what screen you are on, which makes having a larger screen redundant. In fact the hcx shows a bit more of the map than the 60CSx due to the fact that it has finer resolution and therefore displays more pixels.

But the extra bulk of the 60CSx for no benefit is just ridiculous. I could sell my hcx at more than what I paid for it and use the 60CSx if I wanted to. If they were both the same price I'd get the HCx, in fact I'd get the HCx even if it was dearer. Usually with electronics you pay a premium for a smaller size with equal capabilities (barring the external antenna and serial port) but not in the topsy turvy world of garmin.

The 60CSx is just living on it's former reputation when it's sirfstarII chip was so much better than the eTrex line but with the introduction of the Media Tek into the H models, the 60CSx has lost it's main selling point.

Edited by gallet

TravelingSquirrel - Sorry I added the question about Vista verses 60CSx! :D

However, I spent a good bit of time looking at the two models being discussed. After reading a bunch (technical term) of posts, I decided they were both good units and probably more GPS than I will ever be smart enough to take advantage of.

I settled on the Vista HCx primarily because of size. I had also read many posts indicating the screen was well lit and easy to read. I have started using reading glasses and was concerned about being able to read either screen. Another consideration was battery life, which is longer on the HCx.

So far, the HCx has been fine, though I have only been using it for about a week. You can compare the specs side by side on Garmin's site.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Partimcmpr

"even though it's not as good a unit"

Oooooooohhhhh! I really have to strongly disagree!

I too own both, and they are both very good.

However, I like the 60CSx better on most points.

True, the HCx screen is brighter,

but I have NEVER had a problem seeing the screen on the 60Csx.

I can see the screen easier on the 60 while driving as well.

I really prefer the buttons on the 60CSx.

Find, right on the face, not a couple menus down.

Same with mark waypoint and so on.

I'm a good size guy, so I don't like dinky little "toy"

electronics, like these girlie little cell phones that are so popular now.

I want something I can feel in my hands,

so the extra size actually feels better to me,

but the vista is not bad on this point.

On a recent hide, I used the Vista HCx first to mark it,

and it would not walk me back to it, even after much averaging

and several attempts. (Not close enough for me anyway)

The 60CSx nailed it the first time.

Even though the click stick has better tactical feel, I sometimes

error in my intended direction. And the rocker pad on the 60CSx

will operate diagonally on maps as well. Little thing I know, but it matters to me.

I'm not trying to put the Vista down, I still think it is a great GPSr,

I just like the 60CSx better.

So, I guess the short answer is I would buy the 60CSx again.

Your mileage may vary. :yikes:

PP4X4

Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! C'mon, join in! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty! Sixty!

I owned an older monochrome Vista and then "upgraded" to the 60CSx. Whoa...when I took the 60 out of the box I couldn't believe how big it is! Yikes! So I returned it and got the Vista HCx. Much better. I just got used to the smaller size, I guess. It was like having a cute new cell phone and then switching to one of those old brick cell phones from the 80s. Nothing's "wrong" with the 60, just too big for me. I'm going to do some ski caches this week and I just can't imagine lugging the 60 in my ski jacket.

Me and my new Vista HCx have found over 100 caches now, many by bike and some while jogging and it has done very well for me. I did have the odometer issue, but upgraded to firmware 2.6 and all seems to be well now. I love the little guy.

I really prefer the buttons on the 60CSx.

Find, right on the face, not a couple menus down.

Same with mark waypoint and so on.

Hi

I just had to comment on the HCX since I am a proud new owner of the little guy. Unless I am misunderstanding the comments: the "Find" and "Mark Waypont" can both be done by the single push and hold of a button. That is, from any screen if you push and hold the Menu button then the "Find" screen comes up, similarly waypoints can be marked from any screen by pushing and holding the rocker.

Obviously both are good units, but I wanted to add this information for completeness.

Cheers

Well, as you can tell from the variety of replies neither unit is obviously "better" than the other, however, some are better for specific uses.

I don't have a HCX, although I may pick up one of the less expensive ones to use when biking. I do have a 60cx. I go geocaching on occasion, but I also use my GPS for work (and now school) as well. I had three main reasons for choosing it, at the time:

1) SirfIII chipset (the new chipset in the HCX has negated this reason, now the two models are on par)

2) External antenna jack (useful to me, but it might not be for you)

3) Serial port (once again, useful for me)

If I had to make the same choice today, I'd still go with the 60 series for reasons 2 & 3 above. I don't mind the buttons on the the 60cx - I've used a Vista in the store and wasn't too impressed with the click stick, although I could get used to it. It's probably easier to use one handed if you have average or smaller sized hands.

So, rather than asking which is better/which would we buy, prioritize your needs. Do you need a unit that's been around a while and has a lot of the bugs ironed out? A small, easily portable unit? Less expensive? Need an external antenna? Serial port?

I don't think you'll go wrong either way, assuming any issues w/ the HCX can be fixed with firmware updates. For friends who are interested in getting into geocaching and having a GPS for general recreational use I'd probably recommend the Vista simply because it's a little smaller and less expensive.

It's already been pointed out that even though the 60CSx has dedicated button, that the HCx has a single press for 'find' and also for 'mark waypoint' just like the 60CSx.

I don't buy into the 'I've got big hands argument'. If you have big hands then I'd like to know how the hell you are able to use the rocker and the 'enter' button with two fingers seeing as they are too close together and the enter button is on the wrong side (unless you are left handed).

The buttons on the HCx are easier for big hands because they are separated and there is more space around them. You can put your thumb on the HCx rocker without bumping into other buttons. Same for the 'find' button, it's by itself on the left, Having buttons fall where your fingers naturally fall when holding the unit in a balanced way is better.

I refuse to accept that the 60CSx is easier to see in a car because the size of the image on screen is only 10% larger, that is barely noticable. In other words you can just have the HCx 10% closer, maybe and inch and a half closer and the sceen becomes effectively the same size. In a car you can leave the lights on full time and the much much brighter display of the HCx is obviously more important with regard to legibility.

An anecdotal report that "my 60CSx took me straight to the spot and the HCx didn't" is meaningless. They both have the same accuracy why pretend that the HCx is somehow inferior.

I present this information not to defend my favouriite but to give the OP some factual info that needs to be considered.

Before the HCx came out any comparison only needed to state that the chipset on the 60CSx was so much better and that was the end of the matter because obviously being able to get a signal is more important than anything else. No point in a brighter display if it isn't displaying anything.

Now that the 60 has been trumped with the H chip, fake features on the 60 have to be 'beat up'. The only genuine thing going for the 60 now is the serial port and the external antenna, things that very very few people use.

As I mentioned before, I own both units and prefer the Vista Hcx because of size and screen brightness. You can't go wrong with either unit but each one has it's own annoying "features". All of these comments are subjective and I'm sure many will disagree but I offer them up as info that you can think about as you try to choose your new GPS.

I used my 60Cx for two years but always found the rocker button a bit annoying, especially if you put a case over it. I find the stick click allows way faster input than the rocker button and you don't have to move to a separate "enter" button, you just navigate the stick and push down.... it doesn't get any simpler than that.... one button does it all! It only took me about a week to like the click stick better than the rocker button. My only complaint about the click stick is that it can (and does) get clicked while in my pack or my pocket. Since this puts down a waypoint it's annoying.

The "bigger" screen on the 60Cx is a real red herring. It's supposed to be larger but the constant battery display (and other junk) along the edge of the screen takes up all of the extra screen size making the map display the same size as the Vista. The Vista has higher resolution and a brighter screen so you are kidding yourself if you think you are gaining screen size with the 60Cx (OK I admit, the compass is bigger... but not the map... the Vista actually shows more of the map than the 60Cx at the same zoom scale!).

The serial connection was important to me when I first got my 60Cx because I could transfer geocaches from my PDA to the GPS. I haven't used that feature since Garmin perfected the POI loading and display (I now put 2800 caches on the card as POI's so I don't need to transfer from the PDA anymore).

Does the 60 CSX's screen wash out in "cold weather" also?

No. I too have the wash out on the VistaHCx, but either leaving it on or cycling the power takes care of it, so it is a non issue with me.

O.K. Gallet, I said something nice about the Vista HCx. :ph34r:

"If you have big hands then I'd like to know how the (profanity removed) you are able to use the rocker and the 'enter' button"

I can and do use the 60 one handed. No problem.

"the "Find" and "Mark Waypont" can both be done by the single push and hold of a button."

Cool. I was not aware of this and will try it! :) Guess I orta read the manual.

"An anecdotal report that "my 60CSx took me straight to the spot and the HCx didn't" is meaningless. They both have the same accuracy why pretend that the HCx is somehow inferior."

Ummm, no. It was not meaningless. I put a lot of effort in my hides and expect results as close to perfect as can be attained. I accept they should have the same accuracy, however on this hide, the batteries for the 60CSx were in the charger, so I grabbed the Vista. The BEST it would do was 15-20 feet away in different locations. It did seem to direct me to one area more than once though. Frustrated, I took the batteries out and put them in the 60CSx, did the Garmin Dance, (habit) marked and bingo! First time. Many will argue that there is nothing wrong with 15', but lets face it, spot on is a whole lot better.

I'm not dissing your favorite GPSr, I am only pointing out MY real world experiences. I also did not say your prefrences are not valid. I only explained mine.

OH! Another real world experience: Clan Riffster and I are spending a day caching together. He had left his GPSr at home and I had just gotten the VistaHCx. Ready to put it through its paces, (and feeling cocky) I let him use my 60CSx while I used the VistaHCx. First hide, he stops right in front of it, while I'm searching 2 trees away. I don't remember the distance, (not far) but he finally just said something like "it ain't there". I followed him around the rest of the day trying to look useful. :) (Flame suit on)

Since you seem to dislike the 60CSx so much, I will gladly trade my VistaHCx for your 60CSx. I will even fill the 1Gb card with all the maps you want!!!

No, really I mean it!

Unless Gallet takes me up on my offer, I will keep the Vista, because as stated I like the little bugger.

I just like the 60CSx better.

PP4x4

Thanks everyone. I got to see both units at the store today and must say that I like the size of the Vista much better. I also don't mind the click stick of the Vista either. I am sure the 60 is a little quicker to navigate (pardon the pun :D) with the dedicated buttons, but I found the Vista to be very usable. So the Vista has popped back up to the top of my list as long as I feel like Garmin will get the bugs worked out.

"If you have big hands then I'd like to know how the (profanity removed) you are able to use the rocker and the 'enter' button"

I can and do use the 60 one handed. No problem.

That was a trick question. If I describe how laborious it is to enter data that way, the riposte is alway "I use two hands".

The 60CSx has all these buttons so you think it would be easier but if you want to type in an address or note where you have a fair bit of stuff to enter and you use the eTrex click stick, then you scroll around using the pick stick and enter with the same thumb that is moving the cursor. But on the 60CSx if you use one thumb to do the entering then for ever single letter you scroll to you have to remove you thumb from the rocker and then use it to hit 'enter' then back to the rocker - enter - rocker - etc, back and forward between two buttons. Cumbersome.

It's interesting to note that the new Colorado appears to be even worse, from descriptions of how it works, It' stick the non pick stick eTrex where you had to scroll through the alphabet to get to a letter.

.. I am sure the 60 is a little quicker to navigate ...

That's just it, it looks like it should be easier but in real world use it isn't. Go figger.