Find Count

Mountain Frogs

We have been actively recruiting more geocachers in our area to spruce the game up. :drama:

Several of our new recruits ask many questions, the most common question is, "Why doesn't the find count start over for a new year, or at least have a seperate 'YTD' count?"

These new cachers feel that they may be more apt to participate on a regular basis if they could see a 'YTD' count as well. :drama:

Is this at all a possibility for the future, because after entertaining the idea.... We think it might be a nice feature as well!

:drama:

I think GC has always believe that "it's not about the numbers". Maybe shomeone should make a web site that IS about the numbers!

Oh...they have! Maybe this will help.

Exactly! Their last concern is numbers. Actually that is my last concern too. I just do it for fun! :huh: Edited by TrailGators

We have been actively recruiting more geocachers in our area to spruce the game up. :(

Several of our new recruits ask many questions, the most common question is, "Why doesn't the find count start over for a new year, or at least have a seperate 'YTD' count?"

These new cachers feel that they may be more apt to participate on a regular basis if they could see a 'YTD' count as well. :(

Is this at all a possibility for the future, because after entertaining the idea.... We think it might be a nice feature as well!

:huh:

There is no need to do this because Geocaching isn't a competitive game. If you are looking for a competitive game using your GPS you should try Minute War.

I know some people are hung up on the whole smiley thing and are closed minded to anything that doesn't increase their geocaching.com find count (like Waymarking). I don't know if you are in that camp but if you are here is an idea. Hold an event. At the even run your own competitive cache finding games. Then allow the winners to make more multiple find logs on the event than the losers. That will boost the newbies find counts in no time!

I think it is totally unfair that new geocachers can point to the 500 caches they found this year while I only found 250. I have already found the other 250 in a prior year so I can't count these again. In addition the newbie had 500 cache in place to look for when they started. When I started there were fewer than 100 so there were fewer opportunities for me the first year. :huh:

Explain to me again while you are having trouble recruiting new cachers because they think the "scoring" is unfair. Why not just explain that the find count is just a count of the number of caches you found and is not meant to be used to compare yourself with any other cacher. In addition, if they are curious as to how quickly their number is going up compared to someone else they could use sites like itsnotaboutthenumbers.com

I'm fairly new to this whole thing and have just achieved 100 finds after about 5 months. I live in a cache rich environment but do not go out everyday because I work for the fire department and I work 48 hour shifts and then have 4 days off. I then geocache predominately with my daughters ages 8 and 11, so I have to wait for weekends or after school if they don't have too much homework. For us it is not about the number of finds but the different kinds of caches there are to learn to find and the great places geocaching has taken us to that we normally would never have visited.

I did get us each a 100 find achievment coin, but it was more of a cool thing to get rather than I need to get thing.

You could always keep track of the "Year to date", "Month to date", "Day to date", "Hour to date", "Minute to date" yourself.

There are too many combinations of ways that people track their numbers (to my dismay sometimes).. I think TPTB probably don't want to get near that with a 10 foot pole.

I think it is totally unfair that new geocachers can point to the 500 caches they found this year while I only found 250. I have already found the other 250 in a prior year so I can't count these again. In addition the newbie had 500 cache in place to look for when they started. When I started there were fewer than 100 so there were fewer opportunities for me the first year. <_<

Explain to me again while you are having trouble recruiting new cachers because they think the "scoring" is unfair. Why not just explain that the find count is just a count of the number of caches you found and is not meant to be used to compare yourself with any other cacher. In addition, if they are curious as to how quickly their number is going up compared to someone else they could use sites like itsnotaboutthenumbers.com

I only found two during the entire month of December in 2007 :unsure:

(...one was an event and one was a cache that three of us went for after the event...)

The Stats are just fine the way they are...

If you're concerned about stats then GSAK with the FindStatGen macro is a must. You need to be a premier member of GC to download the "My Finds" pocket query and you'll probably want to be a premier user of GSAK as well to avoid the nag screens that increase in frequency over time. Check out my profile for an example of the output (click on my name to the left). I've been Geocaching for about 4 months now and I update my stats as often as I can.

Personally, I'd be disinterested in recruiting folks who are more interested in a number in their profile than getting out and placing interesting geocaches. Placing and finding interesting geocaches go hand-in-hand. OTOH, chasing numbers and placing cheap "smilie excuse" caches also go hand-in-hand. I'm more interested in recruiting the former and not the latter.