Please log your retrieves when you pick up a TB

KJcachers

I was looking for caches to hit for this upcoming weekend and the first 4 I was interested in all had TB's in their inventories but when I read the logs, all of which were over a week old, all the TB's had been "picked up" by a previous cacher. I sent messages to all the pickers asking them nicely to log a retrieve on the TB's but I doubt that will happen. Actually 1 user had logged a drop in a cache but never actually "dropped" the TB so I sent them a message as well. Why is it so hard for some people to do these correctly??? 1 of the people in question was new so I understand the confusion and offered some help but the others were cachers with over 100 finds so they should know the way it's done. Thanks for listening to my rant....

I was looking for caches to hit for this upcoming weekend and the first 4 I was interested in all had TB's in their inventories but when I read the logs, all of which were over a week old, all the TB's had been "picked up" by a previous cacher. I sent messages to all the pickers asking them nicely to log a retrieve on the TB's but I doubt that will happen. Actually 1 user had logged a drop in a cache but never actually "dropped" the TB so I sent them a message as well. Why is it so hard for some people to do these correctly??? 1 of the people in question was new so I understand the confusion and offered some help but the others were cachers with over 100 finds so they should know the way it's done. Thanks for listening to my rant....

You are preaching to the choir, for the most part.

Unfortunately, the majority of geocachers do not read these forums regularly (if ever).

I share your rant. I understand that it can be a bit confusing, and I remember our first bug and how nervous I was about not screwing up the logging, so the newbies can be forgiven. And yes, sometimes life does get in the way. But much of the problem seems to be with experienced, active, but forgetful, cachers. We're planning a trip next month and wanted to take some TBs with us, but I don't want to spend a weekend driving all around the countryside to dig in the snow for bugs that may not even be there. Some of the bugs have been listed in the same caches so long that I'm pretty sure they are gone, but not logged out.

I share your rant. I understand that it can be a bit confusing, and I remember our first bug and how nervous I was about not screwing up the logging, so the newbies can be forgiven. And yes, sometimes life does get in the way. But much of the problem seems to be with experienced, active, but forgetful, cachers. We're planning a trip next month and wanted to take some TBs with us, but I don't want to spend a weekend driving all around the countryside to dig in the snow for bugs that may not even be there. Some of the bugs have been listed in the same caches so long that I'm pretty sure they are gone, but not logged out.

If you notice a TB or geocoin that is obviously not in the cache listed, email the owner of the TB/coin and/or the owner of the cache and ask them to mark it missing. I have done this a few times with good results.

It is frustrating to go in search of a TB only to learn that it is long gone from the cache.

Eartha, Thanks for the advice. I have been emailing owners of sites as I find them incorrect and for the most part they will adjust their cache. Most of the people that have picked up a TB have already moved it along by the time I get to them so I am hoping the next finder down the line will "grab" it and log it properly at the next drop off point. Seems a shame to have them go missing because somebody forgot to log it properly. We have enough TB's and coins being stolen so this just adds to the confusion.

Eartha, Thanks for the advice. I have been emailing owners of sites as I find them incorrect and for the most part they will adjust their cache. Most of the people that have picked up a TB have already moved it along by the time I get to them so I am hoping the next finder down the line will "grab" it and log it properly at the next drop off point. Seems a shame to have them go missing because somebody forgot to log it properly. We have enough TB's and coins being stolen so this just adds to the confusion.

I think it is less confusing to have a TB marked "missing" while it is still moving around than to have it listed in a cache when it is not there.

As Eartha said, a TB's status can easily be changed, so marking it missing does not really hurt anything.

Isn't it interesting that we have those in the game who will do anything to log a TB even if they only gather the numbers from a table at an Event, and never handle the bug, and also we have those who will go out of their way to find and grab a TB, but will never log it.

Yes, but I don't consider those people to be cut from the same cloth.

Isn't it interesting that we have those in the game who will do anything to log a TB even if they only gather the numbers from a table at an Event, and never handle the bug, and also we have those who will go out of their way to find and grab a TB, but will never log it.

Yes, but I don't consider those people to be cut from the same cloth.

One group stretches the truth and the other group steals...

I was looking for caches to hit for this upcoming weekend and the first 4 I was interested in all had TB's in their inventories but when I read the logs, all of which were over a week old, all the TB's had been "picked up" by a previous cacher.

It is possible that the person picked it up just hours before you.....or maybe they're on a trip. Always a possibility.......