Travel Bug idea...

Zolgar

You know the cheap generic digital cameras? the sort you can get for just a few bucks (comparatively speaking). I was considering one of those as a travel bug, with the basic idea being to use it to take a picture of something nice visible from the cache, and load that picture on the the TB's log before sending it on it's way.

Would people actually be likely to do this?

How many people wouldn't have a problem replacing the battery when it died?

How likely would people be to just yoink the camera? >.>

It might be worth a try. One concern may be that many of the "Cheap" digital cameras have their own software that they need to transfer the pics, and it may not ba compatible with all computers. I tried a cheap one once, and it really gave my computer fits. When I returned it to the sture, they told me that lots of people had the same problem. I have an old digital camera that wasn't really "cheap" but is fairly useless to me now, I've been considering sending it out as part of a TB with a mission to expose geocachers to another game I'm trying called Shutterspot. I'm not sure about the getting stolen part. Mine would have the camera, a CF memory card, Rechargable batteries and charger, and instructions on how to create a Shutterspot but not the camera software. You would have to have a computer with a CF reader. I think most desktops still have those, or you could have a disk made at the store. The mission would be to use the TB gear to create your own Shutterspot. I don't think you would have any problem with getting the batteries replaced, that's the least of the worries I think.

You know the cheap generic digital cameras? the sort you can get for just a few bucks (comparatively speaking). I was considering one of those as a travel bug, with the basic idea being to use it to take a picture of something nice visible from the cache, and load that picture on the the TB's log before sending it on it's way.

Would people actually be likely to do this?

How many people wouldn't have a problem replacing the battery when it died?

How likely would people be to just yoink the camera? >.>

I think it will need to be inside a box or case to keep it in good shape.

My husband did one with a disposable camera and had instructions for it to stay in our general area. When the last picture is taken, the instructions say to let him know what cache it is in so he can go pick it up. He will then get to go to a new cache (probably) and he will take care of posting the pictures. It has not been free long, but so far so good. This is easier for the person helping it travel than trying to post pictures from an unfamiliar camera and might be a good option for you. Good luck!

My husband did one with a disposable camera and had instructions for it to stay in our general area. When the last picture is taken, the instructions say to let him know what cache it is in so he can go pick it up. He will then get to go to a new cache (probably) and he will take care of posting the pictures. It has not been free long, but so far so good. This is easier for the person helping it travel than trying to post pictures from an unfamiliar camera and might be a good option for you. Good luck!

I'd considered that option, actually, but I want this cache to spread as far as humanly possible, so the disposible camera wouldn't work unfortunately.

I'd considered that option, actually, but I want this cache to spread as far as humanly possible, so the disposible camera wouldn't work unfortunately.

Another option that just came to me after reading the last post, would be include instructions for the last person to find to mail camera back to you with their address so that you could mail them a new camera and a refund for their shipping then place new camera in the next cache they go to.

Another option that just came to me after reading the last post, would be include instructions for the last person to find to mail camera back to you with their address so that you could mail them a new camera and a refund for their shipping then place new camera in the next cache they go to.

Actualy I think I may give my idea a try, Thanks for getting my brain to work :)