Dumb question. Do waypoints on GPSr drift?

cobra-ak

If a waypoint is say on top of a known landmark one day on your GPSr then say a couple days later that same waypoint jumped up to 500 ft away, is this something normal?

This isn't normal in my experience. Is it possible that you had only a 2d lock when the waypoint was created or perhaps when you checked on it later? Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. What was the GPSr used?

If a waypoint is say on top of a known landmark one day on your GPSr then say a couple days later that same waypoint jumped up to 500 ft away, is this something normal?

This isn't normal in my experience. Is it possible that you had only a 2d lock when the waypoint was created or perhaps when you checked on it later? Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. What was the GPSr used?

they are really easy to move on mine which I found out. on my garmin. simply clicking on a waypoint in the map, move the pointer somewhere else, click again and the waypoint is moved. very dangerous and very stupid as far as I'm concerned. that might have been your problem. acidently moving it while trying to click on it.

Vista HCx, what do you mean by 2nd lock? But I remember it happening to my Vista C once or twice

they are really easy to move on mine which I found out. on my garmin. simply clicking on a waypoint in the map, move the pointer somewhere else, click again and the waypoint is moved. very dangerous and very stupid as far as I'm concerned. that might have been your problem. acidently moving it while trying to click on it.

Its more than one waypoint, but not all. I am pondering the possibility that just trying a "find" and looking at it on the map the click stick may jar the waypoint "loose". I dont use the click switch when I look at a waypoint so this is perplexing. Edited by cobra-ak

Waypoints will "drift" if you use different datums without compensating.

But I doubt this is your answer.

Perhaps when your viewing your waypoints, your accidentally moving them when you scroll on the map screen.

Problem solved! Map sets! Different map sets (Topo 2008, World Map, etc) will show major landmarks in different places. Example an airport near me on one mapset will show the airport near a tower while the other mapset may show it on top of a runway, as you zoom in "My" waypoint will be on top of one in one mapset, but say 500 feet away in another mapset.