single word hyperlink

frefel

Although not a direct geocaching issue it applies to posting to the forums. I've googled this and I can't find a consistent answer since it seems to vary with the format being used.

So my question is how to create a link that is short, such as "click" or "here" so as to not have to paste the entire URL to the posting, some of which are extremely long?

Thanks in advance.

If you memorize the code, you can create your link from the Fast Reply blank. :grin:

You use the "brackets" instead of the '<' '>' used in HTML.

[ url = URL here]word[ /url ]

. . . without the spaces . . . :)

To insert and image, the code is slightly different:

[ img ]URL of image[ /img]

Thanks for the replies:

Miragee - is this only useful for the Fast Reply catagory? What about other sites' forums, the same thing? I ask because I tried it on a html practice page and it didn't work.

Fratt - yup now I see it and that is obviously the easy way to do it.

Starbrand - I use Firefox

So here is a practice attempt via the 3 methods above:

Miragee's - click here

Fratt's - click here

And the html way - <a href="http://www.wunderground.com">click here</a>

For some reason the conventional method is not working but certainly the other 2 do. Looks like I answered my own question re: the Fast Reply.

Edited by frefel

If you are using IE 7 - you need to click the yellowish line at the top of the window to allow scripted windows before you can use the link button described above.

I could not work out why the "insert link" feature does not work - any finally I find the answer - thanks.

The way I do it is to CTRL/V the hyperlink URL to put it in the computer's clipboard. I then write the post and when I come to the part or word that I want to be the link, I hi-lite it and click the globe/paperclip. I then hit CTRL/V to paste the link in the input box then click OK and Voilà ! It's done.

Although not a direct geocaching issue it applies to posting to the forums. I've googled this and I can't find a consistent answer since it seems to vary with the format being used.

So my question is how to create a link that is short, such as "click" or "here" so as to not have to paste the entire URL to the posting, some of which are extremely long?

Thanks in advance.

i too wondered about that so im am going to try here is one of my cacheshere