Garmin Colorado - When and How Much?

sli23sli

Just buy the 300. Take the $$ you save and get the Topo2008 DVD so you can have maps on your computer AND your unit. The 400t and 300 are identical in form and function in every other way except the 300 doesnt have preloaded maps and has less internal memory (although still has plenty).

Just a suggestion. :laughing:

Just fyi The 300 has more usable memory than the 400t. Only a hand full of the 400t had more memory. All the new 400t's only have 148mb of usable internal memory. The 300 has 389mb of usable memory. And the 300 has a better world base map too.

You can buy the 300 and topo for less than the 400t and have more memory and use the dvd on your computer too.

That is kind of a downer. I guess it would still be hard to fill up with caches. However, how many firmware updates is it going to take to cut that number in half?? What would be great is if you could store and view cache information from the SD card like on the Explorists.

I'm not sure if this is a dead thread or not but I just got a call from MegaGPS.com and the Colorado 400t units arrived today, 2/12/08. Can't wait for tomorrow! :-)

I looked at a nuber of places that had the 400t in stock. I went with REI, just becasue of the 100% warrenty. Most of the places I checked didn't have a very good return policy.

Looking at the bad reports of the Colorado 400t I consider the extra $$ as a good investment.

Just buy the 300. Take the $$ you save and get the Topo2008 DVD so you can have maps on your computer AND your unit. The 400t and 300 are identical in form and function in every other way except the 300 doesnt have preloaded maps and has less internal memory (although still has plenty).

Just a suggestion. :anibad:

Just fyi The 300 has more usable memory than the 400t. Only a hand full of the 400t had more memory. All the new 400t's only have 148mb of usable internal memory. The 300 has 389mb of usable memory. And the 300 has a better world base map too.

You can buy the 300 and topo for less than the 400t and have more memory and use the dvd on your computer too.

You do raise a good point about usable internal memory, especially now that a single cache waypoint will require more memory for "paperless" data. I suspect a memory card will "fix" that. Out of curiousity... How is the world base map better on the 300 compared to the 400t? What exactly is the difference?

If you load the entire topo on the 300 how much memory do you have left?

You do raise a good point about usable internal memory, especially now that a single cache waypoint will require more memory for "paperless" data. I suspect a memory card will "fix" that. Out of curiousity... How is the world base map better on the 300 compared to the 400t? What exactly is the difference?

You can not load cashe waypoints to sd card. All that info is stored on the units internal memory. The world base map one the 300 has more detail, shows major cities and boarders were the 400t does not have this info on there world base map.

Edited by teamdw

If you load the entire topo on the 300 how much memory do you have left?

You load the topo to a sd card, not to the units internal memory. So if you load topo to the sd card you will still have all of the 300's internal memory for cache's, tracks and waypoints.

You can not load cashe waypoints to sd card. All that info is stored on the units internal memory. The world base map one the 300 has more detail, shows major cities and boarders were the 400t does not have this info on there world base map.

Gotcha. So the major cities and border differences are on the basemap. I'll be adding City Navigator to an SD card so I think I'll be fine. Thanks for your input! I'll post again tomorrow.