Lost bug, what do I do?

CLSx2

My son bought a TB with his own money. He then decided he wanted the TB to make it to Alaska and along the way he wanted to learn about the Cities the TB stopped in. I thought this was a great idea and since we homeschool we decided it would be a great school project.

However the TB was picked and moved to only one cache before it disappeared. That was Feb. 14, 2007. So what do I do, he keeps asking for updates, but I have no answer.

Do I try to contact each person that logged the cache around the time it was dropped or do we just assume it is lost and try again?

Please Help!

Crystal

My son bought a TB with his own money. He then decided he wanted the TB to make it to Alaska and along the way he wanted to learn about the Cities the TB stopped in. I thought this was a great idea and since we homeschool we decided it would be a great school project.

However the TB was picked and moved to only one cache before it disappeared. That was Feb. 14, 2007. So what do I do, he keeps asking for updates, but I have no answer.

Do I try to contact each person that logged the cache around the time it was dropped or do we just assume it is lost and try again?

Please Help!

Crystal

You can release the copy tag and hope it lasts a bit longer. Unless the cache where the bug disappeared is close to you it would be a challenge to try to figure out who might have taken your bug. I have had some success with going through the log book and emailing the cachers who signed in right after the bug was placed in the cache. Sometimes people just forget what they took or left. I know I have.

I've read all the logs on that cache page, and it doesn't look like anyone has taken it, and no one has reported not seeing it. No one has said anything at all about it. I don't know if that's good, or bad news. Posting a note on the cache page was your next best move. Good luck! Not only is it a puzzle cache, but it is a difficult multi-stage cache that has proven to be a real challenge. Check out the muddy face photo on the cache page. Yikes! Try posting something in the regional forums for that area, asking a local for help.

If nothing else, you can release the copy tag. Don't delete old log history, just make a note when/where the new one starts.

:huh:

Please Help!

Crystal

It's always a joy to see children get involved in geocahing :lol: I hope it shows up and doesn't stop his enthusiasm for the sport! I'm glad Eartha did the research for you. That's a bugger that it May be in a difficult cache. Is it close enough for you to realistically go for it?

If you verify that it is truly gone, I'd recommend organizing an event cache to lament the demise of your bug.

Something with a funeral theme, have a big cake with a headstone on it... invite others to give eulogies about thier lost TBs.

Then use the event to launch a new travel bug to replace the old.

Please Help!

Crystal

Use the Copy tag to send out a duplicate of the bug. This time you could include on the description and goals things like "Please do not put into multi- or puzzle caches." This might make it travel faster. :laughing:

Edited by UncleJimbo