A few questions...

Jester966

I know there a quite a few similar threads already, but I didn't want to highjack someone elses thread so I thought I'd start mine own. I hope that's ok!

I received an eTrex Legend for christmas, the one bundled with the topo software. I think I'd like to return it and upgrade to one of the high sensitivity models - uses will primarily be hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, and geocaching, but will also use it in the car for the occasional road trip. I'm currently leaning towards the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx, and have a few questions:

Is the primary difference between the Vista and the Legend the electronic compass and the barometer? (Anything else?)

How much more useful is the electronic compass than just moving a few meters to get your heading on one without it? (Is it worth the extra money?)

I can't see myself needing the barometer, but if I have it I may use it - any comments?

I see the Legend HCx on sale at Walmart right now for $269.97 (in Canada, btw) - is this a decent price?

Is the advantages of the Vista really worth the extra money?

Do these models come with the PC interface cable, or is it usually sold seperately? (I see they are somewhat expensive to buy seperately)

Both of these models don't come with the SD Card - how much is an SD card, and is there any internal memory on these models? (Eg: can I download any maps without the card?)

If I return this bundle I lose the topo software... however it's already installed on my PC - will it work with a new GPS, or will I have to buy it again seperately?

Any other makes or models I should consider? I have looked at the GPSMap 60 series as well, though I can't really see any advantage of them over these models, and physically, I like the eTrex series better.

Anything else I should be aware of, or am posibly overlooking?

Also, in the real world, how useful is the Hunt/Fish calendar on these? What exactly is the Geocaching mode? (the basic Legend I have doesn't have this)

Thanks for any comments

-Chris

I received an eTrex Legend for christmas, the one bundled with the topo software. I think I'd like to return it and upgrade to one of the high sensitivity models - uses will primarily be hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, and geocaching, but will also use it in the car for the occasional road trip. I'm currently leaning towards the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx, and have a few questions:

I'll give you my opinions which you can evaluate, disregard, or regard. :-)

> Is the primary difference between the Vista and the Legend the electronic compass and the barometer?a

Yes.

> How much more useful is the electronic compass than just moving a few meters to get your heading on one without it?

> (Is it worth the extra money?)

I don't think it is worth it; I have bought many new and used GPSr and never ponied up for the electronic sensors.

> I can't see myself needing the barometer, but if I have it I may use it - any comments?

Nope, I don't need it.

> I see the Legend HCx on sale at Walmart right now for $269.97 (in Canada, btw) - is this a decent price?

Probably. I don't have currency conversion charts handy.

> Is the advantages of the Vista really worth the extra money?

Not to me, but you can compare the two..

> Do these models come with the PC interface cable, or is it usually sold seperately? (I see they are somewhat expensive to buy seperately)

yes, but they are just mini-usb cables, which you might already have anyhow. Ironically, these are generally cheaper than the older, slower serial cables.

> Both of these models don't come with the SD Card - how much is an SD card, and is there any internal memory on these models? (

> Eg: can I download any maps without the card?)

Both store maps only on the card. Cards are exceptionally cheap. If you pay more than about $20 for a 2gb card these days through mail order you probably had to try to spend more on purpose. buy.com, amazon.com, etc. Snag the free shipping deals and have fun.

> If I return this bundle I lose the topo software... however it's already installed on my PC - will it work with a new GPS, or will I have to buy

> it again seperately?

I suspect the Und User Legal Agreement (EULA) would prohibit such a thing.

> Any other makes or models I should consider? I have looked at the GPSMap 60 series as well, though I can't really see any advantage of them

> over these models, and physically, I like the eTrex series better.

If you like the eTrex line, then get one of them for sure. I like the 60 and bought one of those.

> Anything else I should be aware of, or am posibly overlooking?

My thoughts on the matter are online here.

> Also, in the real world, how useful is the Hunt/Fish calendar on these?

Not useful, IMO.

> What exactly is the Geocaching mode? (the basic Legend I have doesn't have this)

Fairly useful mode that lets you go from cache to cache, and marks your finds in the calendar for later review (helpful to me). You can download the garmin maual in PDF form for all model, if you are curious about details like this.

As far as the compass, the difference is that with the Vista the compass will give you direction even if you are standing still. The Legend needs the sats to determine direction so you need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for the compass to work.

Sounds like a slam dunk for the Vista, right? Some people don't think so. First off you need to calibrate the magnetic compass in the Vista every time you change batteries and sometimes in between. It's not an involved process (takes about a minute) but some people find it to be a PITA. Second, the battery life is degraded by the compass.

I believe both units come with the PC cable, but if not, if you have a digital camera or certain cell phones you probably already have the cable. Either way, they are inexpensive.

If you already installed the software and maps (it can be installed without maps) you can use it on your new unit, but I believe that will be quite illegal.

I fish (don't hunt) but have never used the hunt/fish feature, so I can't vouch for it's usefulness. It's essentially the same info that some outdoor magazines provide (or used to). I think it goes by phases of the moon.

There is internal memory for waypoints, but not for maps. You need the SD card to store maps (they are not expensive at all).

I'd really like to order the Vista HCx now, but the one thing holding me back is the odometer issue... Is this issue something that is likely to be resolved soon with future updates, or is it possible that Garmin will choose to forget about it? And assuming it may not be resolved, is it an issue that should sway me to buy a different model, or do the other advantages of the Vista HCx make the odometer bug negligible?

Thanks again

I just purchased the Legend HCx from gpscentral.ca. It was 239$. The Vista was 40$ more. I got the topo canada maps as well for 89$ if you buy a gps from them. After shipping and gst it was 363$ or so. So far I love the unit. I have yet to lose a signal. Most times outdoors it's +/- 3m. Sitting here indoors at my computer it's at 4m.

I have a decent compass and the barometer gets you to within 10m elevation whereas the electronic elavation gets you to within 50m I believe. It's as close as I'll ever need. Plus I've got the topo maps so I can just use those. I'm sure if you're planning on staring at the GPSr every 20 seconds while hiking the built in compass would be useful. People have said that zeroing in on a cache is nice with the compass. Others said you had to calibrate it all the time, still others said they did that once a year at the most... I don't know. I went without this time around.

I believe I've read that the topo Canada software can be loaded on as many GPSr's as you want. I didn't get any unlock code or anything. I installed it on my computer, selected the maps I want, send to GPSr and off it went. So providing they'll let you return opened software you may in the clear. Using it without paying for it would be against the EULA they have you agree to however. So that's up to you.

I haven't used the hunting/fishing other than looking at it. It gives you a prediction (Good day, poor day, etc.) and the best times of the day to hunt/fish.

I looked at the 199$ Legend and topo maps as well. But talked myself out of it and spent what turned out to be another 140$ish dollars for a color unit with the better chip. I used my phone as a GPSr for the last few months and it lost signal all the time. Having a unit that rarely loses signal is certainly a treat.

Willibauer

Also, in the real world, how useful is the Hunt/Fish calendar on these? What exactly is the Geocaching mode? (the basic Legend I have doesn't have this)

Thanks for any comments

-Chris

One small correction, in case anyone thinks otherwise, but the basic Legend (the blue one) does have the hunt/fish feature, just not the geocaching mode.

I think it was added in a firmware upgrade somewhere along the way if it wasn't there all along. It's under Main Menu>Accessories>Hunt & Fish.

huntfishmx4.jpg

That said, the Legend is still a great GPSr. There's essentially nothing wrong with it other than it is less sensitive than the newer models. The B&W screen is more visible in direct sunlight than the color screens, the position won't wander as much, it registers very slow speeds accurately, and so forth. I used to use it as a car navigator and as long as you keep it on the dashboard where it can see the sky, it works just fine. The only time it has failed me is under very dense tree cover. I bought it new in 2001 and only now decided to upgrade to the HCx simply because REI had a great sale and my daughter wants a GPSr for herself. So she gets the Legend and I get the HCx.

I haven't yet looked at the other replies, but here is my $0.02 worth (Canadian, btw)

Is the primary difference between the Vista and the Legend the electronic compass and the barometer? (Anything else?)

-Yes

How much more useful is the electronic compass than just moving a few meters to get your heading on one without it? (Is it worth the extra money?)

-I think it's worth it. If you are navigating other than just geocaching, it also incorporates the ability to sight an object and project a waypoint to that object, either based on a default distance (so you get a track line) or by estimating the distance.

I can't see myself needing the barometer, but if I have it I may use it - any comments?

-I find it useful, but not as much as the compass

I see the Legend HCx on sale at Walmart right now for $269.97 (in Canada, btw) - is this a decent price?

Is the advantages of the Vista really worth the extra money?

-Not a bad price for instant gratification. GPSCentral.ca has it for $239 plus $15-25 shipping, depending on how fast you want it, plus the bonus of no PST (they're in Calgary). Prairie Geomatics has it for $249 plus $14 shipping outside Manitoba, but you have to pay PST.

Do these models come with the PC interface cable, or is it usually sold seperately? (I see they are somewhat expensive to buy seperately)

-They come with a USB cable

Both of these models don't come with the SD Card - how much is an SD card, and is there any internal memory on these models? (Eg: can I download any maps without the card?)

-You need a microSD card to load maps. If you are using TopoCanada only, you should be able to get away with a 1GB card, since you'll reach the 2025 map segment limit before then. However, a 2GB card (the max size it will take) is at the memory "sweet spot" for price. If you have a computer parts dealer nearby, you should be able to get a 1GB card for $30 or a 2GB one for $40. Best Buy is close to twice this price. Walmart may be OK.

If I return this bundle I lose the topo software... however it's already installed on my PC - will it work with a new GPS, or will I have to buy it again seperately?

-Legally and ethically, you need to buy it again. You'll also have the discs if you change computers.

Any other makes or models I should consider? I have looked at the GPSMap 60 series as well, though I can't really see any advantage of them over these models, and physically, I like the eTrex series better.

-My understanding is that form factor is the main difference. Functionality is pretty much the same. However, I have never used a 60.

Anything else I should be aware of, or am posibly overlooking?

-Ensure you get the HCx of whichever version, as opposed to the Cx. The price is the same with the added benefit of the high-sensitivity receiver. GPSCentral sells both. Prairie Geomatics considers the Cx discontinued and no longer carries it.

-The Hunt/Fish calendar is on all the Garmin GPS, I believe. I don't know what it bases it on (phase of moon?) but it just lets you know whether it is an average or good day and what times are the best. I don't hunt, but when is it not a good time to fish? Geocaching mode simply allows you to identify unfound geocaches easily and to easily mark them as found and record the finding in the calendar.

As far as the odometer "bug" goes, I don't find it to be a show-stopper. For example, the blue Legend would not register distance travelled when it did not have a signal, so its odometer was most often wrong as well. IF you are interested in the distance travelled after the fact, it can be retrieved from your track log on MapSource. If you must have the accurate distance in real time, then I gues it would be a problem.

Edited by dogwalkers2

I like the electronic compass. I like it a lot. I wonder if anybody has ever said "Dang, this would be a perfect GPSr if it DIDN'T have the electronic compass!" It ain't gonna replace a good handheld compass, but it points consistently to a waypoint.

Battery life difference? Negligible. Garmin shows 25 hours for both.

PC Nation.com has the Legend HCx $203 Vista HCx $228. I don't know how the conversion would change this, but only $25 US difference in price.

Calibration takes 15 seconds. And I do mine at the start of a day of use. No biggie. And you can turn it off if it's too much hassle.

Comes with a cable. The "bug" means nothing to me. I feel sure Garmin will fix it though.

Your mileage may vary.

PP

I think the odometer bug has been worked on & is continuing to be worked on by Garmin. I use my GPS to track my hikes & give me a reading on the distance. My first major outing with my new Vista HCX was much more accurate than my old legend, & after my hike I uploaded the maps to Mapsource, then viewed them on Google Earth. In GE I traced my path with the measuring tool & it was virtually the same. Any difference in the mileage I blame on me not tracing the trail I walked precisely. I do hike at a decent clip, fo rme tis exercise & I want to cover some ground. Its not a run or anything close, but I dont drag my feet. I really like my HCX, the bug is a non issue for me, AND ITS A FEATURE I USE ALL THE TIME. In regards to the barometer/compass thing... I like the compass alot... even if I have to calibrate it everytime I go out, it takes like 20 seconds.

Regardless of what model you go with, I think my best advice would be not to shop retail, but online. You are likely going to save more money, & get a better model by shopping online. I got my Vista HCX thru a deal on REI a month or two ago for ~ $198 shipped. That was a pretty insane bargain, but it def pays to look around.

I'd really like to order the Vista HCx now, but the one thing holding me back is the odometer issue... Is this issue something that is likely to be resolved soon with future updates, or is it possible that Garmin will choose to forget about it? And assuming it may not be resolved, is it an issue that should sway me to buy a different model, or do the other advantages of the Vista HCx make the odometer bug negligible?

Thanks again

On a couple of recent hikes, the "odometer bug" was not as bad, especially when I compared the distance to a friend's Forerunner, vs. another friends GPS Map60CSx, which might be over-estimating the distance. Also, I think since Garmin is aware of the problem, they will continue to work on it with future firmware upgrades.

I really like my Vista HCx. It never loses a signal, even when I let the GPSr hang upside down from the lanyard. If the difference in price between the Legend HCx and the Vista HCx had been $40.00 when I made my purchase, I would have gotten the Legend HCx. I often cache with the compass turned off on my Vista HCx . . .

I picked up a Vista HCx today. While I was out with it, it switched into night time mode and the colours went dark, which was annoying (I didn't realize what happened at the time, and it was getting dark). I have since turned off the night time colours, but the map background is still black - how do I fix it??

I picked up a Vista HCx today. While I was out with it, it switched into night time mode and the colours went dark, which was annoying (I didn't realize what happened at the time, and it was getting dark). I have since turned off the night time colours, but the map background is still black - how do I fix it??

Main Menu > Setup > Display >

You can fiddle with whichever color you choose there. Or just make it stay on one color all the time.

Willibauer