The difference between a 60CX and a 60CSX is?

carolnbarney

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a 60CX and a 60CSX. My brain may be my problem, but I dont' seem to be able to get a good handle on the difference. I've searched it on the forum archive, but haven't found it. So can/would someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

Compare the two units by following this link.

Half way down the page there is a tan/orange highlighted section. Your answer is there.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a 60CX and a 60CSX. My brain may be my problem, but I dont' seem to be able to get a good handle on the difference. I've searched it on the forum archive, but haven't found it. So can/would someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

Compare the two units by following this link.

Half way down the page there is a tan/orange highlighted section. Your answer is there.

You know, I saw that but didn't think that was the answer. Why?? I had read something someone had said about some sensors and thought was what the "s" in CSX stood for, but didn't find anything about a sensor so I was still looking.

I understand the use of a compass and/or altimeter. On a scale of 1-10 how useful do you think it is to have it on the unit as opposed to a stand alone item for that? That's probably a dumb question to some,but I'm trying to decide it it's worth the extra for the CSX as opposed to the CX. I'm working at the upper limit of my GPS budget and "can" go that little bit more if I can convince myself it's worth it.

I understand the use of a compass and/or altimeter. On a scale of 1-10 how useful do you think it is to have it on the unit as opposed to a stand alone item for that? That's probably a dumb question to some,but I'm trying to decide it it's worth the extra for the CSX as opposed to the CX. I'm working at the upper limit of my GPS budget and "can" go that little bit more if I can convince myself it's worth it.

Stand alone items will generally work better, and don't require batteries to work. You can find a cache without the compass &/or altimeter in a GPSr. You also have to calibrate them (especially the altimeter) constantly. Most people don't do that and wonder why they won't work. Save your money for map software and a case (protect that screen at all cost).

The battery drain by the compass, on the newer units, is negligible. I calibrate the compass first thing when I get outside, and that pretty much it for the day. Not exactly what I would call "constantly".

Then for you the constant would be daily.

I believe you missed the point, if your batteries die in your GPSr, you have no compass.

A magnetic stand alone compass does not require a battery.

Proper user calibration of the GPSMAP60CSX will only get you:

Compass: Accuracy; +/- 5° degrees, resolution; 1 degree

Source: GPSMAP60CSX manual

The point you would want to throw away a compass.

Edited by coggins

The battery drain by the compass, on the newer units, is negligible. I calibrate the compass first thing when I get outside, and that pretty much it for the day. Not exactly what I would call "constantly".

Then for you the constant would be daily.

I believe you missed the point, if your batteries die in your GPSr, you have no compass.

A magnetic stand alone compass does not require a battery.

Proper user calibration of the GPSMAP60CSX will only get you:

Compass: Accuracy; +/- 5° degrees, resolution; 1 degree

Source: GPSMAP60CSX manual

The point you would want to throw away a compass.

First thing to say is that if cost is a concern, why do not you consider purchasing a Vista HCx (or Legend if you don't want a compass). Is there any reason why you prefer the 60CSx? Will you be using a serial port or external antenna? Probably not. Have you tried using the rocker and buttons on the 60CSx to see how badly designed they are? Do you realise how dull the screen is on the 60? it's as bright at 100% as the HCx is on 20%.

If you are concerned about batteries the HCx goes for at least 60% longer. Also note that the HCx in fact uses no extra battery power anyway. Check this out. Notice that it is in fact the backlight that causes massive drain on the batteries and the 60CSx needs it's backlight on 100% whereas the Vista HCx is much brighter than that on 30% so you can see there are hidden variables that impact battery life you should be thinking about rather than the non existent battery drain.

If you really MUST have 1% accuracy or you will get into serious trouble in the bush then you should be carrying a backup compass anyway. But for the way most users use the compass, (which is to get a reasonable idea what direction the cache is when they are not moving), the fluxgate compass is more than adequate because they are not trying to walk miles along a compass line, usually you are using the compass fairly close and if you are walking at an angle to the cache it will eventually automatically correct itself.