Cache promotion idea...maybe?

geoSpartan

Let me start off by saying I'm still new and have no idea what I'm talking about....

But I was thinking of a way to help get people to my cache or other caches instead of leaving it to chance that someone might be in the area and click on that cache.

I was thinking of maybe an event cache or something that had a start date and an end date for a two week period and every day a random, pre-existing cache would be listed on the event page.. sort of like an Advent Calendar... You'd have to find that particular cache on that particular day to claim the cache and event. So on day 1 a cache is listed and on day 2 that cache would no longer be eligible.

You wouldn't have to find all the caches of course and it would stay within a certain radius from the event. And maybe on the last day a new cache is placed at the event coords to stay within the event cache rules.

To bad it's too late to do the "12 days of Christmas cache"!

I hope all that made sense. Any ideas if something like this would work, fall within the rules, or would have any interest?

An events purpose should not be for finding caches but rather to discuss Geocaching.

An Interesting idea.

I think it would be better implemented as some kind of local page. Maybe a local geogroup could put that together. A sort of "cache of the day" page - use a databse of local caches in the background and randomly select one to show up.

Best way to get visitors though is to simply have a memorable cache in memorable location. An outstanding cache will get added to bookmark lists and get talked about and the visitors will come.

An events purpose should not be for finding caches but rather to discuss Geocaching.

Yep, the event guidelines specifically prohibit events where the point of them is to find caches.

Nothing keeping you from holding an event in the general area of the caches though.

Generally, the only thing you need to promote your cache is more caches nearby.

Your idea is interesting, but that particular requirement won't fly because of the rule about cache events not being about finding a cache.

You can meet for breakfast and then go caching so long as the requirment to log the event is the breakfast and not the after event caching.

Same with your cache. You can have an event and take people out caching to your cache, but the event itself can't be hinged upon your (or any other) cache.

Let me start off by saying I'm still new and have no idea what I'm talking about....

But I was thinking of a way to help get people to my cache or other caches instead of leaving it to chance that someone might be in the area and click on that cache.

I was thinking of maybe an event cache or something that had a start date and an end date for a two week period and every day a random, pre-existing cache would be listed on the event page.. sort of like an Advent Calendar... You'd have to find that particular cache on that particular day to claim the cache and event. So on day 1 a cache is listed and on day 2 that cache would no longer be eligible.

You wouldn't have to find all the caches of course and it would stay within a certain radius from the event. And maybe on the last day a new cache is placed at the event coords to stay within the event cache rules.

To bad it's too late to do the "12 days of Christmas cache"!

I hope all that made sense. Any ideas if something like this would work, fall within the rules, or would have any interest?

You could make a mystery cache where you would have to log 20 out of 30 caches from a list of caches in order to log the final mystery cache. We have a couple of those out here like this one. :P Edited by TrailGators

Actually, it sounds like the annual Cache Across Maryland on steroids. With CAM, at least you have about 6 weeks to find 10 newly placed caches that are hidden from one end of the state to another. The event is still about socializing, but to be able to get the coordinates, you need to find all ten caches. Anyone can attend, but to log it you need to have found all ten.

If you want to have more than a handful of folks at the event, you might want to allow a week to find each a cache or make more akin to CAM.

One neat thing about CAM is that if you are having problems finding the cache, you can probably just hang out and wait for the next cacher or group of cachers to come by. Especially if you are doing it on a weekend when the traffic is heavier.

Could be fun, though. I'd definitely plan it for the warm weather time frame. Primarily to allow more hours of daylight for finding the caches.

Now I'm thinking about CAM and can't wait until it starts up in March! Thanks.

DG

An Interesting idea.

I think it would be better implemented as some kind of local page. Maybe a local geogroup could put that together. A sort of "cache of the day" page - use a databse of local caches in the background and randomly select one to show up.

Best way to get visitors though is to simply have a memorable cache in memorable location. An outstanding cache will get added to bookmark lists and get talked about and the visitors will come.

The WSGA (Washington State Geocaching Association) has a cache of the month, where people can nominate their favorite caches. This is another good way to get caches out there for others to see.