Garmin Topo maps for Majorca?

Von-Horst

The link that the forum suggested was an old link from 2004, so I went to said German website and found the GPS topography software. There is a list of it on this new linky here.

I don't know how 'German' the software is, I've never seen it before, but at just under 15 euros it seems reasonable value. But of interest to this forum is the number of popular holiday destinations they cover.

Gran Canaria

Madera

Lanzarote

Tenerife

Fuerteventura

Ibiza

Malta & Gozo

Mallorca / Majorca

Menorca

La Gomera (don't know where this is, but doesn't sound like its on the German mainland!)

and some more traditional hikery ones in southern Germany and Austria.

I've just arrived back from Mallorca,literally 2 hours ago,(my 3rd time there in a year)and a great caching place it is indeed.The scenery can be superb,but the real hunt is finding the right way in to most cache spots.As there are so many rocky inlets what seems like a 500 metre journey as the crow flies can take an hour.I used the google maps on GC.com and zoomed out to give me some idea on the correct route.My record is 7 caches in a day,with car.Good luck.

The link that the forum suggested was an old link from 2004, so I went to said German website and found the GPS topography software. There is a list of it on this new linky here.

I don't know how 'German' the software is, I've never seen it before, but at just under 15 euros it seems reasonable value.

Ordered a copy today from Amazon.de (not sure what kind of shipping but it was quite cheap for German postal rates) so I will let everyone know what its like once it arrives.

Mike

Oooo - has it arrived yet? Is it any good or is it pants?

It has arrived and its.....okay. Not great, not pants, but OK.

If you have Fugawi you can import it directly which probably makes it really good. :)

I don't so its a bit like a basic Memory Map. You can import waypoints but you have to manually allocate them symbols (from a rather basic list - black box, green box blue box etc.) and I haven't worked out how/if you can toggle it to display waypoint names, so it'll be out with the biro on the printed maps... :D

The base map is a Spanish topographic map and is very 'pretty' but nowhere near as good/detailed/clear as our own beloved OS maps.

I have had a few trial runs and it is easy to zoom in and out and prints off fine so that, for example, you can see where the Earthcache: Torrent de Parreis (GC16R9F) is located within the gorge and how easy it will be to get too.

The disc includes a Manual in English (as an adobe document) which is very good except that it is a direct translation of the original German Manual, so to add way points, for example, it tells you to click the button marked 'add waypoints' but omits to tell you what the German for add waypoints actually is! :huh: ).

The only GPS compatibility is to add/send waypoints too/from a GPS - there is no GPS mapping function :D .

To sum up, if you already have Fugawi then this is (probably) an EXCELLENT add on. If you do not, it is still a VERY GOOD bit of kit (much better than google maps) allowing you to print off customised topographic maps with caches added on.

Either way, it will allow you too plan which caches to visit in advance and is excellent value for money ;) .

I'll know more in a couple of weeks once I've used it 'in anger'.

Mike

Any questions?