Searching by State/County

KJcachers

I would love to find a way to do a search or PQ by state/county. I like the idea of finding all the caches in my county and then moving on to the neighboring counties and so on. Anybody have any ideas how I could do this besides ZIP codes or a radius search out from my home coordinates?

Stat Maps by county would be cool too for those of us that don't leave their home state much.

My current geocaching quirk is "coloring in my county maps" which I get by uploading my All Finds Query to It's Not About the Numbers. Here is an example:

0cf28c90-e9f1-46ad-92c7-2d334ef0e4e5.jpg

That website will also break down your finds and tell you which county each one is in, on handy lists. It uses the same county border data that also supports a GSAK macro. The macro will take the caches in your GSAK database, tell you what county each cache is in, and put that info. in a new column. See the macro forums at GSAK.net for details.

County mapping is fun!

There is no county search tool as users did not select a county during setup and it is difficult to map out exacting coordinates for the irregular lines that comprise a county. Although some programs approximate the counties - they are not exact.

Radius searches work well and then plot out the caches on some mapping program that shows county borders is the best advice I have.

I would like to remind TPTB that monitor these posts that it would be great for ALL searches to return a distance and direction for the 20/page caches a search returns. Search by state does not, you have to click each and every cache to see how far it is.

If you are logged in you have a location defined, all searches, reguardless of whether or not they are 'Location Based' should do this.

That includes looking at cache finds by another user and so on...

Edited to add, this is more and more important depending on just how big your State is.

Edited by trainlove