Just so I know...archived

PlantAKiss

I've been musing on geocaching this evening. I was wondering...what is the proper etiquette when someone archives a cache with a note something like this: "Had to archive cache. I hate having to do so. Hope to some day reinstate it."

With cache proliferation, the archiving of a cache can mean opening up an area for a new cache. How much time do you give a cache owner to reset and reopen their cache before you move into that territory? I got this idle thought after looking at my cache finds list and seeing quite a few of the caches had been archived. Some seemed temporary and some seemed permanent. So it got me to wondering how one handles taking over a spot that was used by someone else in the past. How much time to you give someone to reinstate their listing before you consider it open territory for anyone to use. Do you ask persmission of the previous owner? The cache reviewer?

I don't have any plans to do this, but thought if the situation ever arose, I'd better know the rules on it.

From the cache reviewer's perspective, the area is open to a new cache submission the minute that the former cache is archived. There's no need to write to your cache reviewer; just submit a new one.

From a player's perspective, it may be wise to give it a little time, and/or ask the owner of the former cache, before hiding your own.

But then there's the saying: You snooze - You lose.

I haven't opened a new cache where there previously had been one ( I only have 1 cache). But I see where others around here has.

The owner who just archived probably had it on temporary hold for awhile. Giving them time to hopefully iron things out.

This is just my thinking.

I say by all means place a cache there if you want, right away, no need to ask anyone. Archive is archive, plain and simple. Additionally, the only way to even know where an archived cache is/was is to look in the owners profile or look up the GC# directly. Any other cacher would never know there was a cache there, and may just place one anyway.

You can wait, use courtesy to ask the CO if he intends to replace it soon, but that won't stop anyone else placing a cache nearby, through no fault of their own as they would have no idea there was a cache there to begin with. Then you both lose out.

But do what feels right. But don't assume a third party won't place a cache in the meantime.

To me, disable means I want to get this cache going again. Archive means I am done with this cache, so the area is fair game to everyone else. I would email the former owner as a courtesy and ask if he/she/they have a replacement plan.

I agree. If the person only wanted to take it off line temporarily he would have disabled it. There is a chance that he meant to do that and archived it instead. Just to avoid potential bad blood, it would be nice to ask the former owner if he is going to replace it, but technically it is fair game and you are under no obligation to do so.