Gps Tracking System in Development. Needs help.

seanpu1

Dear All,

I’m pretty new to gps but, as a developer, I’m keen to explore new things and tinker about :-) (BTW hello room, my first message 8-)

I’m using my gps receiver to track my car’s position, send that position over the internet to my website with a database, from which my wife can see where I am, in real-time. I think that’s cool, but then I’m a bit of a geek.

It’s not a perfect system, it’s not finished, actually it in pieces but its working :-)

I wanted to know if anyone else would be interested in trying it out. Its free and has not guarantee of working all of the time as its in development, and privacy is out the window, but if you got the equipment and the interest, you can post data to the database on the move, and pull it off later, others can also see where you are “now” just by typing in your username.

Why am I asking others to use this system even though its way not finished? Because I need feedback! As I said I’m no gps guru. I don’t know what others would expect from such a system. All I am interested in is allowing my wife to see where I am, and eventually where my kids are (mobile phone tracking hehe). I want to polish it up but I know there are a thousand other uses for the system and I know it would be useful, especially if its free.

If you would like to get involved or if you got any questions please post a reply here and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks!

Sean

Interesting, indeed. I've got OnStart in the car but won't pay a couple of hundred bucks a year for it. Being able to locate the car would be nifty indeed.

I'm really busy right now, but have at least a little software development background (mostly in MATLAB as would apply to this task). Whacha using? HOw do you get the info from the GPSr to the INTARWEBS? :unsure:

And welcome. I've been hanging about for a couple of months now just learning, and haven't even bought a unit yet!

I want this feature with my Cell Phone. My kids don't always have a car, but they enjoy carrying a cell phone.

Verizon has this service with some of their phones. You can set up zones and be notified when the phone you're watching goes into or out of a place you put in. It can notify you, for example, when your kids go to and/or leave school.

Really, the big draw for OnStar (for me at least) is the locating capability in case of theft. If the software our good fellow has developed is good, we should be able to go to our web site (say I'm in the office), note my car is parked, and have an alert box pop up if it starts to move. When I leave at the end of the day, I disable the alert. If I forget, so what, the worst thatv happens is I get a nuisance alert.

I've had two auto thefts while at work, so one can readily see the draw. It could work at the mall as well with a web enabled cell phone.

On a PC, there are already MATLAB scripts that can dial your cell phone when a process does something.

I just don't see how we'd go from GPSr in a parked car to internet to map location. Not much info. has to go, but how do you get it there?

Hi again, thanks for the welcome

Tom: Its all about connecting technologies, and in this day and ages its very simple. The stopping block is often manufactures disallowing access to hardware from software. For example, my SHARP GX15 has everything it needs to connect to a GPS box via Bluetooth/serial port/infra-red port, grab and process signals, send position via GPRS over internet, even display Google map content. HOWEVER, manufactures only give a developers access to such hardware if they pay a premium, they don’t even give away the API once the device is out of date, so wasting so much resources. Old mobiles, in my opinion, are a gold mine for remote-micro processing devices. Anyway that my rant :-}

On the topic of OnStart, every vehicle tracking service I’ve seen so far workings by the user (you) requesting a position. For technical reasons, that makes a lot of financial sense for the company that runs the service, but its very protectionist and I’m sure the market will fragment soon enough (data collectors, data distributors, data presentation tools). Would be nice to be part of that :-}

Renegade Knight: high-end mobile phones/PDAs have the ability to display google(any?) map pictures, but the method used by google prohibits their display on limited devices, like my sharp gx15 and most phones. However, there are ways around this a) send pre-processed google maps to mobile as a picture, :D use another mapping website like streetmap grabbing the central picture frame. I’ll keep that in mind cos I use my phone for wap all the time

JSWilson64: zones! Great idea. Want to set that up on my website, hmmmm..

Ok, to fill you in. Server side: I’m using SQL Server 2005 to house the data. ASP pages are used to populate the database and retrieve data. Google maps is used to display position information, and a simple text page returns position information as xml. That basically means anything with a web browser can access the database! (even my mobile phone as I found out today! Me REALLY happy about that!) Client-side: I’m using some indescript GPS receiver connected to my laptop. A small program I’ve written (actually com port reader I stole and amended for GPS capture ;-) captures the NMEA sentence (GPRMC) at intervals, formats the data and publishes it to the database via the aforementioned ASP pages. Internet connection provided by my bog-standard mobile’s Bluetooth connection.

That’s it, in a nut shell. I’m writing up some descriptive webpages which explains everything in more details.

The “flaw” in the system is Client-side software. At the moment I can offer only my GPSClient program which will run on a laptop or PC. Knocking up clients for half a dozen popular in-car systems would draw tons of people, but I don’t have the resources to achieve that yet, so it’s the PC in the car first. If your skills are up to writing a GPS client for some other hardware then get coding! For as long as I can I’ll keep the system open for use and for free.

Dear All,

I’m pretty new to gps but, as a developer, I’m keen to explore new things and tinker about :-) (BTW hello room, my first message 8-)

I’m using my gps receiver to track my car’s position, send that position over the internet to my website with a database, from which my wife can see where I am, in real-time. I think that’s cool, but then I’m a bit of a geek.

Sean

Oh YEAH, I am sure there is a BIG market for this, provided of course it goes unnoticed by the driver :D

Edited by Suscrofa

Paulsen:

Wow... just wow... 1st hit was a US Naval Academy site, fascinating. But that's all ham radio as I gather, right?

Tom

Ham radio is used as the pipe between the data provider (eg gps in a car) and data distributor (the guy with the website). APRS is a good implementation but it lack loads in the interface it gives us. any new web-based map technology would be vastly superior in usability. nevertheless, Tom, it might be what ur looking for :D

I dunno, frankly I'm too busy (and confused by it all) to figure it out. How does the APRS system impact what you have in mind? Would you be re-inventing the wheel, putting a friendlier face on it, or what? Or does yor current system use the APRS system? I'm kinda busy here and am not follwing very well, I'm afraid.

Tom

Everything work wonderfully this morning :D I now have a trail of 30-second interval way points for my journey to work. The only thing i need to do to join all the dots is to get an Internet connection in my car. The google maps page needs updating as well cos its a bit buggy. When thats done i can release the url, cos it will work then :D

I dunno, frankly I'm too busy (and confused by it all) to figure it out. How does the APRS system impact what you have in mind? Would you be re-inventing the wheel, putting a friendlier face on it, or what? Or does yor current system use the APRS system? I'm kinda busy here and am not follwing very well, I'm afraid.

Tom

By the sound of it Tom you don't really want me to answer those questions, the answers would be too ... extensive. In short, in as much as APRS is a tracking system, so is mine, we both use different technologies to perform the same task.

The system works, but, unless they want to use my GPSClient and their laptop, it will be up to the users to get it to work for them. I can give advice and maybe even help out where possible.

Well, yeah, I can't entertain a detailed answer right now, but an still interested in a non-ham solution. Glad to hear you've made such progress!

Like I said, this could almost work to replace OnStar's locator, esp. if you could make the whole thing non-obvious. Wouldn't it be cool, if you park the car and arm the system, it tells you if the car is moved, then you could alert the police to a web page from which they could track the car? Many police cars have laptops nowadays, I suppose they have mobile internet access...

Keep us posted, and best to you,

Tom

Edited by TomOfTarsus

Many police cars have laptops nowadays, I suppose they have mobile internet access...

Having worked for the police i happen to know every "bobby on the beat" and vehicle is tracked by gps (at least in the uk). Its very very impressive!!! And it piggypacks off their current radio system, so transmission is practically for free, just equipment and licences.

I'm going to try and look at a taxi firms gps tracking system next year. I've heard impressive things there too.

I'll keep you posted. At the moment I'm writing up webpages on how to access the system and recoding the google page. When that done I'll give out the url to the site.

http://aspspider.info/seanpu1/

Ok website has the essential ready for testing. The GPSClient isn't ready, but I'll try and do that over the xmas period.

Could you check links, database entry and retrieval and google maps interface.

The forum aspect is an imported free product, not my creation.

I've developed it using firefox and tested it on IE but nothing is as good as getting users to bust it :)

An idea of features missing or needed would be nice.

There is some instruction on how to interface the system with third-party software, if someone can be interested enough to do this

http://aspspider.info/seanpu1/

Many thanks in advance

Sean

the APRS using ham is free. there are repeaters across north america that pick up the ham signal of your POS. and stick it on the net. no need for expensive internet access in the car. downside is you need a ham radio in the car and you need a ham radio licence.

if you want internet access, and GPS tracking. then just look into something like a sierra wireless MP modem. they are a combonation gps/ cell modem. you give it an IP address and time and every x mins it'll send the modem's position / speed / heading/ to that IP address. I have lots of the MP555's at work which track cars. plug in a USB cable to a notebook and you can surf the web with it. the newer models are alot faster though.

if you want something else to read about go look up marine AIS systems. I can see and track every boat (that has it) within a 40 mile range. All free using VHF signals.

Edited by Smac999

the APRS using ham is free. there are repeaters across north america that pick up the ham signal of your POS. and stick it on the net. no need for expensive internet access in the car. downside is you need a ham radio in the car and you need a ham radio licence.

if you want internet access, and GPS tracking. then just look into something like a sierra wireless MP modem. they are a combonation gps/ cell modem. you give it an IP address and time and every x mins it'll send the modem's position / speed / heading/ to that IP address. I have lots of the MP555's at work which track cars. plug in a USB cable to a notebook and you can surf the web with it. the newer models are alot faster though.

if you want something else to read about go look up marine AIS systems. I can see and track every boat (that has it) within a 40 mile range. All free using VHF signals.

Thanks for the info! thats great! Reading about it all now!

Being an RF engineer, I have the tools to test pretty much any RF device, including antennas and systems.

I wo be interested in being a Beta tester if it involes mapping the coverage area, or singal density in a rural environment(I live IN the desert).

I do mountan tops, canyons and velleys.

I have 4 acres of open land for antenna pattern testing, plus spectrun analyzers and service monitors to assist in these matters.

GPS patch (puck) antennas are easy to come across and are made by a wide range of companies as well.

Quadrifilar helices are far more touchy to design and construct properly due to feed imbalances that are inherent in the design.

This sounds very cool. I think it would be neat to be able to track where you are and have been and also if you dont have maps on yoru gps at least you could possibly call someone and they could tell you how the heck to get out from where ever you are. And also logs would be neat to be able to go back and take a look at after you have made a trip. see what parts you were slow and where you made up time.

I guess if you still need some more people to help you test it I would be more than willing. espically once you are able to use thsi with a handheld GPSr unit

Thanks

Barbarnero

Edited by Barbarnero

I guess if you still need some more people to help you test it I would be more than willing. espically once you are able to use thsi with a handheld GPSr unit

By handheld gps what do you mean? The programs I'm developing at the moment at targeted towards windows mobile machines (pdas, phones etc). if thats fits your requirement then cool, it would be great to has someone test the programs.

(I found an idea the other day, to calculate your carbon footprint based on your movements. a personal carbon footprint calculator, using ur gps unit. I'm sketching out the framework at the moment. If off the path as far as what i want to do but its an interesting deviation.)

Back to the topic, I'm planning on having the gps co-ordinates upload to a server by end of next week (as long as family commitments permit).