TomTom one v3 - how to input caches

VicHager

Hi

I know I have seen this asked before but i can't find it in the forums.

I have just got a TomTom one v3 and want to use it to help with caching. I already have a Lowrance iFinder Go2 for off road, so I just want the TomTom to tell me when I am driving near caches, ie I want the caches in the TomTom as POI's.

How do I do it?

Also can I get them into the TomTom in bulk, or does it have to be one by one?

Any other TomTom tips welcome too please!

Vic

:)

What I do is add caches as favorites. Go 'Add Favorite' then arrow over to get 'Lattitude Longitude' and enter the coordinates of the cache. Once that's done you can navigate to it.

I believe there is a way to do it en masse. But I am not familiar with the procedure. I suggest you look here and here

Down load a copy of GSAK from here www.gsak.net. You can download a GPX file from geocaching.com and GSAK will export it to your TT1 in it's own format. You need to export the file into the map directory on your tomtom. The waypoint in a tomtom are .ov2 files.

There is a macro for the new version 7 of GSAK that will separate the caches by type and use the appropriate icon for each. Multi will show the multi icon, regular caches will show the regular icon etc... it works very well.

Edited by Team Dougherty

There is a macro for the new version 7 of GSAK that will separate the caches by type and use the appropriate icon for each. Multi will show the multi icon, regular caches will show the regular icon etc... it works very well.

Where can one find the macro?

The GSAK macro index can be found here

Edited by ClydeE

I think this is one awesome feature for TomTom product.

http://www.tomtom.com/page/tomtom-on-google-maps?Lid=4

I agree it looks great, but how do I use it for caching? I can't find any "content to add" about Geocaching.

Vic

Well...

First of all, you need to know the GPS Coordinate of your cache.

Goto maps.google.com or .ca or whatever google map site you choose.

Enter in your GPS Co-Ordinates and Google will automatically pin point the location on the map.

That is it.

This is excellent for using with any GPS unit for pin pointing the exact location... providing that you do have a correct GPS CoOrdinate(s).

Now, if you are getting your Geocaching from www.GeoCaching.com everything is automated for you. They provide all the link you need to Google map and other online map websites.

Enjoy

Edited by xxgg

I think this is one awesome feature for TomTom product.

http://www.tomtom.com/page/tomtom-on-google-maps?Lid=4

I agree it looks great, but how do I use it for caching? I can't find any "content to add" about Geocaching.

Vic

Well...

First of all, you need to know the GPS Coordinate of your cache.

Goto maps.google.com or .ca or whatever google map site you choose.

Enter in your GPS Co-Ordinates and Google will automatically pin point the location on the map.

That is it.

This is excellent for using with any GPS unit for pin pointing the exact location... providing that you do have a correct GPS CoOrdinate(s).

Now, if you are getting your Geocaching from www.GeoCaching.com everything is automated for you. They provide all the link you need to Google map and other online map websites.

Enjoy

Ah ha! I see, I was looking at it trying to find a way to download en masse, using the "add content" feature. Now if a cacher could sort out a content file for UK caches it would be fabulous!

Thanks for the instructions, I shall use your method until I can get all the Cornwall, UK caches in together.

Vic

Ah ha! I see, I was looking at it trying to find a way to download en masse, using the "add content" feature. Now if a cacher could sort out a content file for UK caches it would be fabulous!

Thanks for the instructions, I shall use your method until I can get all the Cornwall, UK caches in together.

Vic

Using GSAK will do it in bulk. You can not do it, easily, using add content feature TomTom Home. You can also use GPSbabel www.gpsbabel.org, the engine behind GSAK, which everway you choose you will need to download the GPX or LOC file from geocaching.com convert to the OV2 format for tomtom and copy the file into your tomtom's map directory.

If you hook your tomtom to your pc it will show up as a removable hard drive. use explorer to browse the drive. you will see a directory that contains your map(s). Mine had a Guam and a US_Canada Directory. in there you will see a bunch of OV2 files. the restaurant.ov2 is the POI file for restaurants the stores.ov2 is the retail stores poi.

I read your profile and saw you where in the UK. I downloaded a UK cache,GC17X8t, loc file converted it to OV2 using GSAK and put it here.

http://home.comcast.net/~team_dougherty/tomtom/geocaches.ov2

Download it and put it in the map directory on your tomtom and it will show up on your map.

you can download all of the loc files you want put then in GSAK and convert them to tomtom.