Got the Palm set up....now what?

TeacherTrekker

I went through a tedious process of getting my Tungsten E2 patched for Vista....now I dont know how to get the cache info to it....

Sorry for being so dense....new to this...

Special big hug for aronnie......who worked through the whole process with me!

Appreciate the input..

T :ph34r:

Forgot to mention.....have Cachemate installed!

Now download a pocket query of the caches you'd like to seek from Geocaching.com. Then using CMConvert, (Comes with Cachemate) convert the .gpx to a .pdb file that can be hotsync'd to your palm. File, Load .gpx (it converts) File, Export PDB. It's really easy after you do it a couple of times, I promise! Have Fun!

Cachemate comes with a little program called CMConvert that will convert the Pocket Query file to a .pdb (Palm Database) file which will be sent to the Palm at the next HotSync.

I used that program a few times, but found that GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) better fit my needs because this area is so cache-rich. A single 500-cache Pocket Query didn't cover a very wide area here.

I get several "Date Placed" PQs and use GSAK to filter, slice and dice, and Export the data for my GPSr and my Palm, my Mapsource maps, and Google Earth.

GSAK is free to use for 21 days. You might find this rudimentary GSAK tutorial to be helpful.

Cachemate comes with a little program called CMConvert that will convert the Pocket Query file to a .pdb (Palm Database) file which will be sent to the Palm at the next HotSync.

I used that program a few times, but found that GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) better fit my needs because this area is so cache-rich. A single 500-cache Pocket Query didn't cover a very wide area here.

I get several "Date Placed" PQs and use GSAK to filter, slice and dice, and Export the data for my GPSr and my Palm, my Mapsource maps, and Google Earth.

GSAK is free to use for 21 days. You might find this rudimentary GSAK tutorial to be helpful.

GSAK actually uses CMConvert too, but it's behind the scenes and much easier to use with the way GSAK does it.

Going to the form GPS Units and Software you might get some better answers.

You can also check out these couple of web sites on paperless cacheing.

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15

Now what you can do. I see you are a premium member so you can get Pocket Queries sent to you from Groundspeak on the caches in your area.

Then using a program of some sort (I use GSAK myself) I have the program translate the data into a palm data file.

Then hotsync your pda to the computer and it will download it to the pda.

After the hotsync I run cachemate on the pda to input the data file into its datafile.

Once Cachemate reads the file into its data then the caches are available for viewing.

On another note. I have databases that I use in GSAK and Cachemate. I have a database for around my home. I have another one for around my brothers house and one for around my cousins house.

That also means I have set up Pocket Query to send me a file of caches around these spots.

It you have any more questions feel free to contact me.

Hope this helps.

Paul - kf4oox

kf4oox@verizon.net

Hi Teri

I just E-Mailed You a step by step on CMConvert

Here it is

PRINT THIS

Right click on START the one you use to shut down the computer with, then click EXPLORE, click on CACHEMATE,

In the files, on the right ,click on CACHMATE 4.1.2.

There will be CMCONVERT, right click on it and choose SEND TO, choose TO DESKTOP AS A SHORT CUT.

Now go to the desktop and click on CMCONVERT, once You get to the CACHEMATE FILE CONVERTER PAGE click on FILE, click LOAD FILE , find the location of the file, where is says LOOK IN click the little down facing arrow head and find the file, double click WAYPOINTS, then OK the next box, it will load it and tell you how many waypoints are in it.

Next choose RECORDS then SELECT ALL they will turn blue, go to FILE then EXPORT PDB, a save box will come up, give it a NAME and click SAVE it will tell you how many waypoint were converted, next a select user box (for the palm) will come up name should already be there.

It will tell you that it will be installed to cachemate the next time you do a hot sync.

I think I covered everything??

Edited by aronnie