Keeping track of TBs

Baker's Achers

I have only been caching since this spring. I will be finding #100 this week. I have started 3 TBs. One is supposedly in a cache, but subsequent logs for that cache say it is not there. I went to it today, and the logbook says that someone removed it on 10-20-07. However, that person/team never logged their visit on the cache page, never logged on my TB and I did a name search and it said no such name. So how do I find my TB now?

Another TB was picked up by someone, also in October who logged to say that they would give it to someone traveling to another state. Now the TB log says it is 'retrieved' by someone, but how do I know if they actually have it or are cyber-swiping it?

I think my 3rd TB is in a cache in mid-state Michigan, but I don't know for sure. This reminds me to check on its status.

Now, I made my own first cache, a TB hotel. I started it with 7 TBs. It is down to 1 because people take but don't leave. Even though it clearly states that request in the description. Also there is one that was never logged. When I looked it up, it was supposedly in Arizona (I am in Michigan) so, after a month, I just cyber-swiped it so that it could appear in my cache where it actually was.

As to my missing TBs, I have e-mailed the persons who are supposed to have them, but have not gotten responses. Should I expect response? Am I being too controlling on this? Are there guidelines for me on how closely to manage my caches (tbs and coins) and my own tbs? Thanks for advice for this new cacher.

I am also new to this, but I've been told not to worry to much about TB's. After you let them go you will have virtually no control over them. I've also found that many people take TB's without logging them, (either on purpose, or inadvertently because they didn't note the number before it was placed in another cache.) I recently found a TB that hadn't been logged and was missing for over 3 years!

I also understand after reading the Geocaching book and info on the website that TB's are NOT trade items. In other words, you should be able to take a TB without having to worry about putting another one in. I would rather have my TB's be able to travel freely without the the stipulation that someone must put in a TB to take mine. Otherwise they are just being kept hostage.

I have now set 3 TB's free, none of them have moved yet, but I will be happy when they write home. I realize that they may come up missing, but I also haven't released anything I can't live without.

You aren't being too controlling. If someone has a TB of yours and doesn't move it along, you have every right to e-mail the person and ask him to move it.

I've had quite a few go missing, and some were taken by another geocacher before disappearing. I have e-mailed these people several times and I've gone as far as offering to send a stamped, self addressed return envelope to them so they can mail it back, but my offers were ignored.

The things do disappear. When you send one out you have to assume it will go missing somewhere along the line. A few e-mails or even a note on the cache page is acceptable, just don't obsess over them.

Regarding your TB hotel, many geocachers will ignore a 1 for 1 TB trade requirement because they believe that a cache owner has no right to restrict the movement of other people's travel bugs. When owners put those 1 for 1 requirements on TB hotels that is essentially what they are doing. A person should be able to take a TB and move it along whether or not he has another TB to trade.

As to my missing TBs, I have e-mailed the persons who are supposed to have them, but have not gotten responses. Should I expect response? Am I being too controlling on this? Are there guidelines for me on how closely to manage my caches (tbs and coins) and my own tbs? Thanks for advice for this new cacher.

Give me a bit to research your bugs.

Two worst places your bugs can be, in the hands of an un-responsive cacher and a Cache with trade restrictions. Travel bugs are meant to move. They are not trade items.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sorry, I totally ignore the 1 for 1 swap [:I] - I travel quite a bit and often take TB's/coins on my travels & photograph them along the way for their owners. I have been known to drop 10 into a cache on my furthest point of travel and to pick up as many as I feel like when returning (over 1,000miles/800km) home.

I do get annoyed when they are placed into a Puzzle cache that is visited once every 6 months :anicute: but that is the way of the little beasties. I also make a point of putting them into a new cache because they are the ones that are visited most within a 4 week period.

We have to accept that all cachers aren't honest :ph34r: and take a liking to one and that some of us are absent minded and forget to log them :laughing: . But accept that some people in their travels will pick up & drop off on the move, so to speak, without having access to the internet to log the moves, forgetting to take a note of their numbers for future logging.

You have given TB/coin lovers the opportunity to place them into a special holding pen for them, now relax and let their fates take their course.

Okay, I see your points about not 'holding them hostage'. I guess I didn't look at it like that. I was thinking that if it is called a TB hotel, there should be some TBs in it.

I'm not sure that my 'See the USA' is in that person's hands. I know that putting them out is the risk of them disappearing, I guess I just didn't expect it. I am also thinking about one's that I placed in other caches, or in mine that haven't been logged. I know for a fact that as of this afternoon "College Try" is not in the cache. Someone signed the logbook on 10-20-07 that they took it, but never have logged in the cache visit or the TB pickup. That name is Team Fluffinator (Fluffinater?).

Should I keep a log of my own that includes id numbers on the TBs that I have passed? Certainly the ones I own, but also the ones that I have placed or moved along?

I will go edit my TB cache as just politely ask for TBs to be dropped.

Thanks for the pointers.

Edited by Baker's Achers

'See the USA' was picked up on the 17th. Asking them for status is fine of course.

I just think that trying to manage every delay; you are just going to be continually disappointed and worn out from the effort.

Release’em, Forget’em and be happy when they write home.

Yes, you can prompt people to move your bug but I tend to wait months rather than weeks.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It's actually nicer thinking your TB/coin is in that big drip tray in the world than knowing exactly which cacher has it and isn't responding to a nice request to re-cache it.

We can then live in the hope that it will reappear out of the void in months/years to come and surprise us by being in another part of the world.

Thank you for putting out a TB/coin cache though and I look forward to picking up your TB's/coin in Oz and moving them along for you.

This is after all a game (what blasphemy), don't take it too seriously.