To Archive or Not to Archive...

TMAACA

We have a cache GC6B5E that we adopted from another cacher who had adopted the cache from the original owner.

Today I got a note that the cache had been crushed by construction equipment and is in desperate need of repair/replacement. I am torn about replacing the cache...

It was placed in 2002 and is one of the oldest in our area. The cache has even outlived its namesake. I am not opposed to going out and placing another cache there, and in fact have a 50mm ammo can that has been stocked and waiting for a spot for a few weeks now...

At what point do you think an area should be open to a new cache? Are expectations related to archiving an adopted cache different than archiving your own?? (I can't find the original owner to ask what he or she would want)

Edited by TMAACA

If the "feel" of the cache is different, then that would warrant a new cache listing. Perhaps a micro cache was replaced by a small, or sign was removed. Perhaps the cache location hasn't changed, but (as is happenning in our area, dirt roads are being closed and the 300 foot walk just became 3 miles.

By all means try to keep the long running caches running, but if the cache and it's location are gone, then we need to let them go and a new one take it's place.

That's totally up to you as the new owner. Some things that *I* would consider:

- Has the cache outlived it's original purpose? Meaning has that nice wooded area been turned into a housing development since the cache was placed, or was it the first cache in a nice park, that now has half a dozen other caches?

- Does it bring anything to the geocaching community other than a smiley fix?

- Do I still feel like maintaining it?

<clip>

At what point do you think an area should be open to a new cache? Are expectations related to archiving an adopted cache different than archiving your own?? (I can't find the original owner to ask what he or she would want)

Once you adopt a cache it is 100% your cache to do whatever you want with. The cache person who adopted out the cache has their cache hide count reduced and is no longer able to make any changes to the cache page. You, the adopter, has his cache hide count increased and is allowed to make any cache to the cache he see fit. In fact the owner name is even changed and there is no way (unless the original owner made some maintenance or similar logs) for anyone who hasn't seen this cache before the adoption to even know who the original owner was. It is as if you, the adopter, has always owned the cache. Sure, it is nice to let the original owner what is going on with the cache but after adoption the cache is yours and no longer theirs.

Thanks for the feedback on this, I will be going out shortly to replace the damaged cache container with the stocked ammo can that I have had around. The upside of this is that there is a cache that I DNF'd nearby and will give that one another shot while I am there!

The one and only cache I've ever adopted was my first "ammo can in the woods" find. I kept it going for a year or so after I adopted it. It was hidden on top of a mountain, although not at a spectacular location, but it required a decent hike of at least a mile to get to it. While hiking in the area much later, I found a beautiful vista less than a quarter mile from the cache location. I was a little irked that I'd previously been so close, but never knew the vista was there. I debated, similar to that way you are (were?) about archiving the cache and moving it to take people to the vista. I decided that seeing the view was really the highlight of the journey, not just finding the ammo can. The old cache was archived, and the container moved a few tenths of a mile away. A new cache page was created, and the Cumberland Valley Vista cache was born. There's still an ammo can to find after a mile or so hike in the woods, but now you get treated to a great view as well. I think I definitely made the right choice. Everyone needs to make their own decision, but either way, it's your decision to make. Historical caches are nice to keep alive, but sometimes replacing them to improve the caching experience is even better.

I think historic caches (5+ years old) should be kept going. High maintenance caches and caches in high muggle area usually don't make it this far. Unless the cache area has massively changed since the hiding date, destroying the cache and/or turning it in a high maintenance one, I'm all for keeping it.

From the cache page I see that the location is worth the hike, the area is not oversaturated with caches, the cache is not "in the middle of nowhere" (having 11 other caches on a 5 km / 3 miles radius). I also see that you have another cache near this one, so you can maintain them both with one trip.

This august I felt sad when GC8 was archived. Probably I wouldn't search for it anyway (being on the other side of the planet), but I search for the (few) local historic caches.

If you decide to archive it, first consider adopting it out. Some of the new cachers love to go after the old, rare or otherwise different cache.

Edited by Dj Storm