Garmin Etrex and Windows Vista

junmy3

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend that worked fine with my old XP computer, but I have having trouble getting it to work with my new Vista computer. The problem is that the new computer did not come with a serial port for connecting the RS232 cable. I purchased an adapter that I found on the internet, but I can not get it to work with my computer. When connected the computer finds new hardware, but seems to want a driver which I do not have. I have tried downloading the USB drivers from Garmin, but that does not seem to work.

Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by junmy3

Ok, I let windows go out and find and load the driver. I verified in control panel/systems/device manager that the com port was there. It still did not work. This morning I tried it on my VISTA laptop. Still does not work. On my laptop, I had to download the Garmin Communicator plugin. While loading that program it lead me to download Garmin USB drivers. Which I tried to attempt. In the process, it had me to plug in my GPS, but it would not recognize that the GPS was there. Any other ideas?

I have now emailed the place I bought my adapter from asking about the driver, but I have not heard back from them. I have also been checking for another one if I can not get this one to work. What brand and where did everyone else buy their adapter? It seems that all I can find is for Windows XP, but not for Vista.

junmy3, Try using other software that is known to work (Mapsource, GSAK, EasyGPS) - the communicator software ; make sure you have the right com port selected in that program's setup: you look up the com port so you can see its number (com3, com8,...) from the Device Manager as you mentioned above.

Also have you run the test on this web page?: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

You might also consult the information relevant to this in the first post on this page:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...entry9731

If you want advice on drivers, then you will need to tell us which USB-serial device you have. (Make and model). Not all of these require a separate driver disk to work. Also tell us if your unit came with a piece of paper with install instructions and whether you followed these EXACTLY. There are USB devices out there where you have to install the drivers before you plug in the unit.

junmy3, Try using other software that is known to work (Mapsource, GSAK, EasyGPS) - the communicator software ; make sure you have the right com port selected in that program's setup: you look up the com port so you can see its number (com3, com8,...) from the Device Manager as you mentioned above.

Also have you run the test on this web page?: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

You might also consult the information relevant to this in the first post on this page:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...entry9731

If you want advice on drivers, then you will need to tell us which USB-serial device you have. (Make and model). Not all of these require a separate driver disk to work. Also tell us if your unit came with a piece of paper with install instructions and whether you followed these EXACTLY. There are USB devices out there where you have to install the drivers before you plug in the unit.

I was not using mapsource. I was just trying to download coordinates directly from Geocache.com. I did run the Garmin test web page and it would not acknowledge the GPS device. I have just about determined that the adapter I bought does not support windows Vista. I have been pointed a couple places that state that their adapters do support Vista so I guess that I will try one of them.

My adapter was made by Prolific. No instructions came with it, but I did get them to send me the drivers. However XP was the highest version of window that it supported. I have requested from them information concerning XP, but I have not heard back from them yet.

This sure is a learning experience.

Thanks for the help.