What to buy?

steagles

I have been caching for about a year and a half on my eXplorist 210, and have been very happy with it. However, lately the accuracy is dying slowly AND I'd like to upgrade to something with more bells and whistles. After doing some preliminary research, here are the options.

*eXplorist 500... a definite step up from the 210 and in my price range.

*Magellan Triton 400... in my price range and looks to be comparable to the 500, but it's not on the market yet, so it's an unkown.

*Magellan Crossover... out of my price range, but I can save up. I like the dual road map and hiking features.

*Garmin 60 CX or CSX... I have friends who have the CSX and complain about the arrow being inaccurate, plus it's kinda pricey.

What do you think? Do you own one of these? What's your opinion?

Thanks!

the first most important thing with a GPS for me is that the shape and weight fits for what I am going to be using it for.....ie bicycle, hiking, car etc....

the second most important thing is its receiver, I would want it to get +/- 15ft in heavy brush

from the ones you listed I would go with the triton 500........but if you want a gps now, and in the right price range for around $220, then I would go with the garmin Vista HCX

edit::: also here is a nice review of the explorist 500 if interested http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=95859

Edited by gratefulHIKE

I just picked up my Garmin Vista HCx yesterday. Keep in mind this info is only from about 24 hours of use, but it is a GREAT UNIT! It puts my magellan 500 to shame. I got 7 sats standing in the middle of my house (not even near a window).

For $220 right now, I don't think it requires more than 10 seconds of consideration. IMO

We have a Magellan Sportrak Pro and we're looking for a new one. Probably the 60CSx or the Vista HCx.

As for Magellan, I have no complaints... But it scares me to think that someday I'd have a problem with one and would end up on one of those incredible stories about their poor support and customer care.

I've recommending the Explorist 210, since it's a nice unit, especially for those who are starting. But now, I'll have to think twice. Their support is almost inexistent.

Good luck.

I have been caching for about a year and a half on my eXplorist 210, and have been very happy with it. However, lately the accuracy is dying slowly ...

I don't understand how the accuracy is 'dying away'. My 4-yr old black/white monochrome Vista is no more accurate today than it was 4 years ago. I now have a Vista HCx and it is much more accurate than the older one, but have loaned it to a buddy getting started with caching and he has not had accuracy problems with it.

If you have software and accessories for the 210, I would recommend you stay with Magellans to avoid the extra costs of switching brands. As much as I like the new Tritons (at least on paper that is) and want one, I won't because of the accessories I would have to get - extra DC adapters and holders for the cars (3), bike handlebar adapters (2), City Navigator and MetroGuide software, GPS leather covers, etc...

Otherwise, the Vista HCx is a great little do'er. Compared to my 60CS and Venture Cx, it has exceptional satellite tracking abilities; has color screen; good battery life; an external data card slot; and one thing Gamin does not advertise, a faster processor than the 60CS and Venture Cx that remaps and recalculates routes at a significant faster rate.

One of my caching friends has a 60csx. There have been a couple of times when his GPS says that we're right on top of the cache (and we are) and mine says that we're 50-100 feet off. I didn't have that problem last year. In fact, I was the one with the accurate GPS before he upgraded to the csx. Maybe the accuracy isn't dying, but I don't know what else to call it. :laughing:

Thanks for the input on your Vista. I'll have to look at it. Since I have zero accessories, switching brands isn't an issue. I like the Triton Series and the Crossover looks good too. But reading what people have said about Magellan's customer service, I'm thinking that switching to Garmin may not be a bad idea.

Does anyone use the Crossover? What do you think? How does it compare to the 60CSX?