"I want to send my email address along with this message." Busted?

intolerable

Sorry if the following is a dupe bug, but didn't turn anything up in a search.

It looks like the "I want to send my email address along with this message", which is set by default, isn't sending along email addresses.

I've been exchanging emails the past few days with someone, wishing they would just respond to my email address rather than continuing to go through the website. After a comment they made that indicated that they wished I would send my address along I sent a message to another household account, leaving the checkbox to send along my address checked, but the return address was noreply@geocaching.com. Tried a second message, unchecking and then checking the box, but the results were the same.

Thanks

- Chris/intolerable

It looks like the "I want to send my email address along with this message", which is set by default, isn't sending along email addresses.

I've been exchanging emails the past few days with someone, wishing they would just respond to my email address rather than continuing to go through the website. After a comment they made that indicated that they wished I would send my address along I sent a message to another household account, leaving the checkbox to send along my address checked, but the return address was noreply@geocaching.com. Tried a second message, unchecking and then checking the box, but the results were the same.

Thanks

- Chris/intolerable

Try replying to the email. You will receive the response. It's just an address mask, your address is there.

Try replying to the email. You will receive the response. It's just an address mask, your address is there.

The reply address is contact@geocaching.com. Sorry, I meant to put that instead of noreply@geocaching.com, pasted the wrong thing. The user address really isn't showing up for me.

Edit to mention that the user that I was exchanging emails with has let me know that they did have it set to send their address along also, although it isn't. The last mail they sent through the site they unchecked the box to see if maybe that would make it send the address, but no dice.

Edit again to note that the reply address looks like it is noreply@geocaching.com when the box is unchecked and contact@geocaching.com when the box is checked.

Edited by intolerable

Thanks

- Chris/intolerable

I just checked an old email that came through the GC.com site and it has both. The noreply@geocaching.com is in the "from" field and the address of the cacher who sent it is below that in a "reply to" field. You might check this to see if both are showing there.

edited to say, nevermind,,, i read your last post and see that you stated that only the noreply address was showing. Not sure what's going on. I'll send you an email and see how it does...

Edited by Mudfrog

I think that this is probably user error...

A combination of some bad assumptions, people not paying attention, etc etc. I do have a some mails from the website without a reply-to line, and based on email exchanges, I assumed something that I didn't really know, that being that there was supposed to be a user address to respond to in the beginning. And so from there I proceeded to come to the wrong conclusions...

I'll be quiet now :-) Sorry!

I don't think its user error as I've been seeing the same thing for a while now. The reply address is "noreply@geocaching.com" instead of the cacher's email address. If I hit reply then their email shows up. This is rather confusing! I wonder how many people just don't bother to reply to emails since they think they have to look up the cacher and use the contact tool since it looks like they can't reply directly.