New to this ....

TheRonkens

Ok, time for a really dumb question.

What about purchsing a vehicle unit, using it for geochaching? The batterry life is 3-4 hours, would that be long enough to find a chache, how about carring extra batteries?

Looking at a unit (eTrex Vista HCx) which co pilot can use to navigate in towns as well as geochaching. We rae in a motor home and travel. How about a Tom Tom or similar and carry it while geochaching?

Thanks fro any assistance. Yes we would like to have a barometer and Compass.

What about purchsing a vehicle unit, using it for geochaching? The batterry life is 3-4 hours, would that be long enough to find a chache, how about carring extra batteries?

It will work fine, but that's not the concern.

* can you get waypoints into it easily?

* how much anguish will you experience the first time it rains on it, or you drop it, or step on it while logging the cache? This DOES happen. It's why portables are tough and waterproof.

Most individual cache finds are a matter of minutes after you get used to it.

Looking at a unit (eTrex Vista HCx) which co pilot can use to navigate in towns as well as geochaching. We rae in a motor home and travel. How about a Tom Tom or similar and carry it while geochaching?

If you can swing two, I'd get the auto unit and a used, simple handheld for caching. You can get a used yellow etrex for $50 in the garage sale forum fairly consistently.

If you are limited to one, I'd take the Vista HCX and let the copilot handle navigation.

My 2c worth, pre-coffee.

As I am forever waiting for a Triton to come out, I am principally using a Garmin Nuvi 300 as my main GPS (with a yellow etrex as a back up). It is pretty good in many respects especially the accuracy and ability to get a good signal nearly always. Also it has a touch screen so inputting waypoints isn't too hard. The cons are as you point out, a limited battery life. I reckon mine lasts 3-4 hours- not enough for a long cache day, so I use the etrex as a back up on less difficult caches. If however you are driving from cache to cahe, you can recharge as you drive. Also the Nuvi is not rugged- be careful not to drop it or to expose it to too much rain (not tested this to its limit yet!). Finally it can be a bit confusing which way you are supposed to be walking at times, not having a compass arrow display (at least none I have found). Overall I am pleased caching with the car satnav at least as a stop-gap.

Drawbacks of a vehicle unit for geocaching:

1. Not rugged enough and usually not water resistant.

2. Poor battery life.

3. Ergonomics. Not designed to be held and operated in the hand.

4. Some do not allow waypoints to be entered.

5. If you want topo maps, some do not allow you to upload different maps.

If you insist on a vehicle unit you are best off getting a basic, inexpensive hand held for geocaching,

That or get a hand held that also works nicely in the vehicle like a Garmi 60CSX or 76CSX.

Another option would be a unit that is designed for both. The Garmin Quest and Quest II were designed chiefly for vehicle use, but have features that make them suitable for handheld use (e.g. rugged, water resistant, longer battery life, ergonomically designed for hand held use).

I'm really glad I found this post. I already had an auto unit when I started geocaching, but I've been wanting a hand-held for back-up and ease of use.

I have a 9 year old daughter who geocaches with me. We both tend to want to hold the unit at the same time and, frankly, sometimes I'm also afraid she'll drop the unit in the mud or snow.

I've been thinking of getting her an inexpensive handheld unit so she and I can each hold one. Also, I would like a back-up because sometimes I feel my co-ordinates are way off.

Which inexpensive unit would you go with if you had an auto GPS for the route to the area? I want something not too expensive, but with enough accuracy, function, & ease of use to geocache easily with kids.

Also, is it worth whatever the difference in price to have one that hooks up and downloads from your computer?

Thanks!

Edited by rainbomoms

I have a 9 year old daughter who geocaches with me. We both tend to want to hold the unit at the same time and, frankly, sometimes I'm also afraid she'll drop the unit in the mud or snow.

I've been thinking of getting her an inexpensive handheld unit so she and I can each hold one. Also, I would like a back-up because sometimes I feel my co-ordinates are way off.

The garmin foretrex line is watch-like and straps onto an arm with velcro. Can't drop it, can't lose it when it's strapped on. I'd give it a look. I got a NIB foretrex 201 off eBay for less than $70 shipped, including cables and internal rechargeable batt.

cf-md.jpg

I use a handheld for trails and for driving. When you're driving, and pull off the road somewhere, you can zip it onto the storage compartment. You can use a mini USB/AC outlet for constant power. My Etrex Legend CX has even navigated when inside the storage compartment!!!

I sit mine inside the dash, to the left, easily visible.

If you're travelling in cities in less than desirable areas, you're going to have to disconnect the dash mounted device and put it away, otherwise you'll come back to a broken window. This is another reason why handheld is better for both purposes. Just my opinion.

Edited by TOLady
Which inexpensive unit would you go with if you had an auto GPS for the route to the area? I want something not too expensive, but with enough accuracy, function, & ease of use to geocache easily with kids.

I'd go with a Garmin Geko 201 or a basic eTrex H. Geko gets high marks for ease of use and the eTrex H has a high sensitivity receiver for good reception under heavy tree cover. Both are around $100 and have the capability to hook up to a PC.

for a kid you definitely want a "high sensitivity" receiver.......for one reason, you want them to find more caches

getting them as close as possible is a GREAT idea, you dont really need expandable memory (microSD) because the kid doesnt need street by street or topo maps

two things you need to keep the kids interested in it, a color screen and a good receiver so they wont get frustrated sifting through a much larger radius

here is what I recommend, because of the electric compass which is definitely something a child needs to geocache

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Summit-...r/dp/B000PDUZIE

or if you just want something that gets the kid out there and in the vacinity of the caches, is durable while keeping the kid occupied, the buttons on this are easier to push.....but it has less accuracy and no color screen......but its a nice size and weight while getting descent battery usage

http://www.thenerds.net/GARMIN_INTERNATION...0100032200.html

Edited by gratefulHIKE

I use strictly handhelds.....if I am going for a trip in a car I will bring along my laptop and place the handheld on the dash using my laptop for the map, routing, searching etc.....

I do this in a tractor-trailer. Works well, and by keeping the map on top, I am legal. (It is a violation of law to have video screens operating in view of driver except those related to navigation.) Note, I say "map on top". Most of the time, GSAK may be running in the background for quick reference when I stop to grab a cache.

OP mentions being in a motor home or travel trailer. Be sure to check out the RV list and cache location map at the GeoTruckers website. Look down along the left of the page.

For years I've used an eTrex Legend in all situations. The Garmin suction-cup mount holds it to the windscreen where I can look at it and the road at the same time, and a data/power cable feeds it power while in the car (with the serial cable hooked up to a USB adaptor in the center console for downloads). I can easily unplug it and put it in a pocket when I leave the vehicle, and I have a mount for it on the handlebars of my bike. I only really need one GPSr...

It doesn't have auto-routing or speak to me in the car, so my use of the GPSr may be different from yours. But it works well for me.

OK, so I've broken down and am now waiting on delivery of a Legend HCX (higher sensitivity, longer battery life, and faster downloads were the selling points for me: microSD maps, auto-routing, etc were "freebies"). I plan to retire the old Legend when it gets here.

Another vote for the Garmin Quest. It has all the essential features for a vehicle unit, and works great as a hand-held for caching, once you learn how to use it for that purpose, which is easy but not self-evident. It is also very inexpensive when you consider the maps and accessories included in the purchase price.

Edited by appletree