New feature proposal

DHJ&P

I would like to propose a new feature for cache listing pages.

Would it be possible to have a “private note” area available on cache pages?

I would use this area to record notes for puzzle clues, or any information I wish to keep specifically about that cache, but not want others to see.

I currently keep such notes on an Excel spreadsheet, but it would be nicer to have them attached to the specific cache.

What do others think?

Compared with the work to improve the maps recently, I would think this would be a simple feature to add.

Yours

Dave

Third party software such as GSAK, GPXSonar and Cachemate already does this off line much better than the spreadsheet method or even an on-line method could do.

TotemLake,

Thanks for the reply. I have GSAK, but can't get to grips with it. I don't find it very intuitive to use. I am sure these 3rd party data managers are very good, but they seem to need a lot of time investment in order to us successfully. My idea is just to have a simple text box that only the “logged on” person can see on the Geocaching site.

I guess my next question is to ask if software such as GSAK really worth the time investment for the extra features it gives? While I can use spreadsheets and similar programs on a PC, I am no database expert.

Dave

Third party software such as GSAK, GPXSonar and Cachemate already does this off line much better than the spreadsheet method or even an on-line method could do.

TotemLake,

Thanks for the reply. I have GSAK, but can't get to grips with it. I don't find it very intuitive to use. I am sure these 3rd party data managers are very good, but they seem to need a lot of time investment in order to us successfully. My idea is just to have a simple text box that only the “logged on” person can see on the Geocaching site.

I guess my next question is to ask if software such as GSAK really worth the time investment for the extra features it gives? While I can use spreadsheets and similar programs on a PC, I am no database expert.

Dave

GSAK takes the database problems out of the database. You don't need to be a database expert to use it in its simplest offerings which private notes is pretty basic. It is feature rich for however much you want to use out of it without having to reinvent the wheel with a spreadsheet. I'm not a power user on it, but I do use it and GPXSonar to maintain private notes. The best part about GSAK is you can grow into the features when you're ready whereas with a spreadsheet, you have to take the time to develop the features you think you want to use. The learning curve tradeoff is do yo learn to use what's already in GSAK or do you learn how to develop what isn't already in the spreadsheet that you might be reinventing where GSAK is concerned.

So to answer your question... Yes, it is worth the expense in terms of cost and time to learn how to use it.

GSAK is dead easy to use for personal notes. That for me is one the useful features for storing puzzle solutions, unique things about a cache, what it looks like etc. There is a notes column, the 4th one with the little notepad above it. Go to the cache line, double click on the box and up pops the notes editor. Dead simple.

JD

just print out the cache page and write on it.

I could do this, but the amount of paper is building up - and I can't access paper kept at home when I am staying away from home.

Dave

Which is why I like the bookmark feature better than what GSAK provides - it's always available from any network connection.