New Cache Location Question

Is the nature trail on school property or on city (like a city park) property?

Yes, both are by nature public property, but most school district governing boards do not like a lot of people on their property during school hours.

If it were in a park, like a city or county park, that backs up to the school, it would probably be ok. If it is a trail that is on school district grounds, I would leave it alone.

Run it by your reviewer. I suspect that it will likely depend on whether there is some type of separator between the school and the nature trail (such as a chain link fence).

also is the trail close enough to the school yard that cachers could look like they were "watching the kids"? Walking trails generally get used even in school hours so the school would likely only be concerned if the students safety looked compromised in any way. If the trail is far enough away this likely wouldnt be a problem, at least on the schools end anyway.

If it's public land than it's fine. If it's school property that's a whole different story. You probably don't want to be responsable for evacuating the school and creating a major national issue...

~.~Scare Force One

That is not true. Or if it is true, then I had one cache placement refused unneccessarily. I placed a cache on what was clearly a public park that is adjacent to a school yard. The cache was not approved because of proximity to the school. I moved the cache to another area in the same park that was farther from the school, and had no problems getting it approved.

200 yards... or 600 feet. That's a fair distance away. Also, it's an area that one would expect people to be in, so you are probably in good shape.

Just make sure you list a few additional requirements. Things like searchers must be middle-age males with beards wearing a hooded jacket (even in the summer). They also must have a pair of binoculars and/or a camera (with telephoto lens) in their possession. Make the cache extra hard to find so you have to spend a long time in one spot, preferably with a clear view of the playground but with bushes between the cache and the trail.

I've been considering a nature trail on school property. I thought I'd ask the school if I could put it there during the summer when school was out.

Remember that a cache is expected to be around for at *least* 3 months (Cache Permanence). That would just fit the summer break in most areas, but make sure to explain to your reviewer that you plan to pull it before school starts.

Let's hope that there is no summer school or other programs being held in that particular building!