Historic Garstang cache

We've been trying to find the Historic Garstang cache for a while. We have been there 7 times and each time as resulted in a DNF. The cache says the co-ords are spot on even though you land up in the private backgarden of a nursing home. The additional clue is:

"The name 'Wyre' holds two cryptic clues. Look close at the letters within the word and 'Wyre' rhymes

with...??"

We and several other cachers are totally lost with this and the usual idea of asking the question "where would I hide a cache?" doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Have you tried a friendly email to the cache owner? They're normally only too happy to provide stumped cachers with anything from a subtle pointer in the right direction to a complete solution.

It's only a couple of miles from me but I haven't done it so can't offer anything myself, sorry :|

Just as an update, we have contacted the cache owner (Slateman) and all he will tell us is that the cache is in place and that our co-ords are right. :) The additional clue just seems so weird. There seems to be an anagram in the word 'Wyre' but we can't find it. Thanks for the words PUP. We went back and tried them all but drew an eighth blank. I think we're going to have to give up on this one. :blink:

Just as an update, we have contacted the cache owner (Slateman) and all he will tell us is that the cache is in place and that our co-ords are right. :) The additional clue just seems so weird. There seems to be an anagram in the word 'Wyre' but we can't find it. Thanks for the words PUP. We went back and tried them all but drew an eighth blank. I think we're going to have to give up on this one. :blink:

Have you explored the possibility that there is a feature that resembles a letter either within "Wyre" or a word that rhymes?

Have you explored the possibility that there is a feature that resembles a letter either within "Wyre" or a word that rhymes?

We've tried everything. We had re-arranged the letters in 'Wyre' to spell ewry which is a vessel for holding household substances like juice or cutlery. We are just waiting for more cachers to find it to see if they leave any clues in their logs. As of yet, only 1 has found it. 6 others have had dnfs. We think that if the additional clue was clearer we'd have found it.

Well, "wyre" rhymes with "higher" if you have lazy pronunciation. And the letters within the word Wyre are Y and R, which obviously ... er ... means yr which is short for you're, and therefore "you're higher" which ... um ... means that you are higher and therefore should look lower ... or maybe the setter has an unusual accent and "wyre" rhymes with "year" of which YR is an abbreviation meaning "come back next year" ;) ... or perhaps YR means "why are" as in why are you bothering? ;)

Glad to be of no help whatsoever. ;)