Magellan Geocache Manager

TKOFaith

When I download cache information to Magellan Geocache Manager, is there any way to get the hints to transfer over?

I decided kind of last minute to go caching with my son last night, and spent 20 minutes looking for a cache that I never found. When I looked at the hint I realized it was hanging from a tree. It would've been nice to have this information on the GPSr.

Thanks,

TKOFaith (Tim)

When I download cache information to Magellan Geocache Manager, is there any way to get the hints to transfer over?

I decided kind of last minute to go caching with my son last night, and spent 20 minutes looking for a cache that I never found. When I looked at the hint I realized it was hanging from a tree. It would've been nice to have this information on the GPSr.

Thanks,

TKOFaith (Tim)

Yes.

But it requires a GPX file, not a LOC. Premium Members can download these directly from the cache page, or thru Pocket Queries.

assuming you have an eXplorist...

When you transfer the caches to your unit using the geocache manager, it also transfers the hints (limited to the first 50 characters [including spaces])

On you screen, if you scroll over to a cache and hit enter, it will bring up the cache information. At the bottom is a link to the hint..., hit that and you will get the 'limited' hint.

assuming you have an eXplorist...

When you transfer the caches to your unit using the geocache manager, it also transfers the hints (limited to the first 50 characters [including spaces])

On you screen, if you scroll over to a cache and hit enter, it will bring up the cache information. At the bottom is a link to the hint..., hit that and you will get the 'limited' hint.

I do have an eXplorist, XL. When I go to the hint on the bottom of the screen, it is empty.

Thanks

TKOFaith

not all caches have hints? :):):)

edit to add my loading procedure:

My standard 'procedure' for loading my eXplorist.

1] do a pocket query

2] PQ sent to my e-mail account

3] With the e-mail showing on a reduced window, I simply double-click on the attached PQ, and a program called WinZip opens the zipped file, and shows me whats inside the file.

4] I click on and drag the main gpx file to my desktop.

5] I rename the numbered gpx file to something that makes sense to me, like Home.gpx, or route.gpx, or Lexington.gpx

6] I open GSAK and drop the .gpx file in there to update my database, and to send the caches to my palm for paperless caching.

7] I attach my eXplorist to the computer and turn it on, I make sure it is in data transfer mode, then go into the geocache folders on the SD card and delete the old .gs (eXplorist geocaching) files and any .fnd (found) files in there.

8] Open geocache manager program

9] hit the new file icon (white sheet of paper) to clear out any old cache data.

10] hit the open file icon (folder, next to the new file icon).

11] move the search to my desktop (where I saved the .gpx files) and double click on the .gpx I want to load.

12] Hit the save to eXplorist button (looks like a satellite) and since I renamed it Home.gpx, it will save it to the eXplorist SD card as Home.gs.

13]repeat 9-12 until all of my .gpx files are laoded.

Oh, and I limit all of my .gpx Pocket queries to a maximum of 190 caches.

also, you can just drag a .gpx file onto the manager program and it will load it, then hit the satellite button to transfer...

Edited by Jhwk

not all caches have hints? dry.gif smile.gif blink.gif

Just a few changes to JHWKS procedure

edit to add my loading procedure:

My standard 'procedure' for loading my eXplorist. 500

1] do a pocket query

2] PQ sent to my e-mail account

3] I down load the zipped pq to my desktop

4] I right click on the pq file and change the name of it to something I want

5] I open GSAK and drop the .gpx file in there to update my database, and to send the caches to my palm for paperless caching. and also send a file for the 500 back to my desktop

6] I attach my eXplorist to the computer and turn it on, I make sure it is in data transfer mode, then go into the geocache folders on the SD card and delete the old .gs (eXplorist geocaching) files and any .fnd (found) files in there.

7] I then go to the folder I want the pq in

8] And then just drag and drop the file from GSAK that is now on my desktop into fore mentioned folder in the SD card in the 500 :D

Edited by vagabond