Why are finds and trackables not listed in chronological order on profile page?

UncleJimbo

When I look at my profile page at http://www.geocaching.com/my/ I see the most recent finds and trackable drops, etc. They are sorted with the most recent day's events at the top of the page, but the events of each day are sorted in exactly the opposite order, making it look like the first thing I did on the most recent day was the last thing I did.

Why is it ordered this way?

Thanks

Edited by UncleJimbo

This has been mention several times in the past year. Depends on who you are - some see it as a bug others as a feature.

Never really bothered me. Not everybody logs them in any kind of order within a day and there is no timestamp we log so I guess it was as good a way as any to list them.

Wow, is everyone stumped? or just stunned by the absurdity of the question?
No, we just have nothing more to add to the previous discussion.

Thanks for the link.

You'd think that perhaps if Groundspeak would actually fix these bugs, that maybe the discussions would not keep coming up over and over. Shouldn't be too hard to fix this one, especially since it has been known for a long time. I don't buy the argument that only a few people care or that there are limited resources to address it. Why sort the logs at all (by day) if nobody cares?

....You'd think that perhaps if Groundspeak would actually fix these bugs, .....

Because it really isn't a "bug".

It just doesn't work they way you think it should.

Only two options: it is a feature or a bug. From the official responses in the other thread, it did not seem like anyone in charge was saying it was a feature.

Why not just log your finds from last to first instead and then they will be displayed in the order you want? Now that you know the way the program works, just alter the information you input to receive the outcome you want. Seems like a simple fix to me.

Edited to insert ?....can't figure out for the life of me why I keep doing that.

Edited by elmuyloco5

Why not just log your finds from last to first instead and then they will be displayed in the order you want? Now that you know the way the program works, just alter the information you input to receive the outcome you want. Seems like a simple fix to me.

Because that is not a "fix". It is a kludge work-around. Besides, once Groundspeak fixes this, I don't want to have to go back and re-log everything.

Please read this entire thread and the linked previous thread for more information.

Edited by UncleJimbo

That's assuming that Groundspeak will fix it. Doesn't matter to me, I don't have any issues with the way it is now. Just trying to help you achieve what you wanted. I don't think it's a big thing to work around. You have to enter the logs anyway, what difference is it which direction you log it in? If your logs are properly entered in order, irregardless of how you did it, I fail to see how GC's fixes would alter the format of your logs. I was just giving you another option, if you don't want to use it, that's fine. To each their own.

That's assuming that Groundspeak will fix it. Doesn't matter to me, I don't have any issues with the way it is now. Just trying to help you achieve what you wanted.

What I want is for the logs to display properly, not for me (and dozens of others) to have to distort reality.

How far would they have to go before you would care? Not sorted at all, not even by day? Just randomly displayed? Why should it matter?

You have to enter the logs anyway, what difference is it which direction you log it in? If your logs are properly entered in order, irregardless of how you did it, I fail to see how GC's fixes would alter the format of your logs.

The difference is that one way is correct (entering them in the order I found them), and the other way is not.

The difference is that one way is correct (entering them in the order I found them), and the other way is not.

Its correct for you, not me. I want them listed the way they are. Thats correct for me.

Perhaps its not a bug and its not a feature its just the way it is. All the complaining and whining isn't going to change something that isn't broken. Just because you think its broken doesn't mean it is broken. It is what it is.

Lighten up Francis. Its not broken.

How far would they have to go before you would care? Not sorted at all, not even by day? Just randomly displayed? Why should it matter?

I don't personally need a list of them in chronological order. It doesn't bother me, but it wouldn't bother me if they changed it to you're way either....it just simply doesn't bother me at all. I don't go back and look at my list of caches wondering what order I did them in. You seem awfully upset that I don't care if my caches are in a certain order. I can understand that you care about yours, but why on earth do get so upset about how I feel about mine?

You have to enter the logs anyway, what difference is it which direction you log it in? If your logs are properly entered in order, irregardless of how you did it, I fail to see how GC's fixes would alter the format of your logs.

You misunderstood my comment. I meant I don't see what difference it makes in you physically logging the caches. Say you have a list of the 10 caches you did that day in order. What difference does it make if you start by logging the last one on the list and go up the list, than if you log the first one and go down. It takes no more effort on your part, therefore not the "kludge work-around" you called it. It's half a dozen of one and six of the other. I'll say it again, seems like a simple fix to me. You sound really stressed out about this. Maybe you should take a deep breath and relax a moment. It is just a list after all.

The only reason I posted to begin with was to suggest a way around your problem. You don't have to use my suggestion, it won't hurt my feelings. It just seemed like a simple way to fix things for you. I wish you luck in your mission.

Why not just log your finds from last to first instead and then they will be displayed in the order you want? Now that you know the way the program works, just alter the information you input to receive the outcome you want.
This is the only choice. Take it or leave it. It's always been this way and probably always will be because there are a ton of higher priorities. :D

Its correct for you, not me. I want them listed the way they are. Thats correct for me.

Perhaps its not a bug and its not a feature its just the way it is. All the complaining and whining isn't going to change something that isn't broken. Just because you think its broken doesn't mean it is broken. It is what it is.

Lighten up Francis. Its not broken.

You know, I am getting more annoyed by these replies than by the original issue.

Correct is correct, not relative. Let me try to make it more clear:

The logs are listed chronologically by Day. That is, the most recent day is at the top of the page. Therefore, to be internally consistent (i.e., "correct"), the logs should also be sorted within each day in the same fashion.

"just the way it is"? How can a website just "be" a certain way? Someone created it, or are you implying that GC.com uses an "off the shelf" software package that they have no control over?

Anyway, I am getting tired of this topic. I had hoped that someone in authority might respond, but if they did, I did not realize it.

Cheers

I'm sorry you're not getting responses from people who share your grief. Maybe you should try the thread entitled "Chronological Confusion" just a few threads down from yours on the page. They have been discussing the same issue that is bothering you and there might be someone you can talk with about it.

But, please try to calm down a bit, you're gonna give yourself a coronary over this list thing. I think we all understand that you feel very strongly about it, we just simply don't agree.