Hawaii caching

Love

I'm heading off to the big island of Hawaii soon and I'm wondering what the "must do" caches are on the island. I'd like to see as much of the island as possible, so any recommendations will be appreciated!

Also, I was planning to break up my trip accommodations wise between Kona and Hilo. I'm wondering which of the two cities would be better to stay in for a majority of the trip and why.

:sad:

First, do yourself a favor and buy The Big Island Revealed. We have no affiliation, but swear by all "revealed" guidebooks. On the Big Island there is a cache at or near pretty much every cool place in the book.

Oh I should mention, we live on Oahu, but go to the Big Island often. We usually stay on the Hilo/Volcano side of the island, but were recently in Kona our short list of Big Island caches follows:

Kona side:

GC6C94 Blue Lagoon. This is our favorite place on the whole island, we found it b/c of the above mentioned guidebook and have been coming here since way before we were caching.

GC10PR1 Mind If I Play Through. The owner of this cache is another good source of info.

GCP5ZC Captain Cook's Monumental Cache. We haven't done the cache, but highly recommend the snorkeling in the bay.

Hilo/Volcano side:

GCG4MD Over the Rainbow Falls. Doesn't the name make you want to go?

GC12NDE Hot Ponds. We haven't found this cache either, but hope to on our trip in a couple weeks. This is another place we go any chance we get. Safest snorkeling on island in warm (volcano heated) water.

GCG5AM Devil's Throat. It's a virtual (no regular caches in Volcanoes NP). It just shows you how much of the park the average tourist NEVER sees.

Side trips:

GC325E Hairy Hill Cache. Nothing like a short hike at 6000 ft. Good place to acclimate a bit before heading up Mauna Kea.

GC312D South Point Cache. Despite anything Key West might say, this is the most southern point n the US! Everyone should go at least once.

As for where you should stay and how long, it completely depends on what you want to do. Volcanoes NP is much more accessible from Hilo (30 miles). If you want to visit the park for more than one day there are several excellent B&B's in Volcano Village. There are no big resorts in Hilo and no real "lay out in the sun" sandy beaches. There is great hiking and access to the recent lava flows and the "newest" beach. GCGB2G Kaimu Beach. Hilo also has a great farmer's market Wednesday and Saturday. Hilo is also the rain forest and gets much more rain than Kona. Hilo is the jungle, Kona is a desert.

Kona (and Kohala) have the big resorts and the best sand beaches on the island.

Feel free to contact us for more info. You didn't say when you will be on the Big Island, but know that December-March is the rainy season for all the islands. Have a great trip.

jrr

I second Devil's Throat. Very cool spot that all muggles just drive right past. And hit the Earthcaches in the Volcanoes National Park, especially the Hawaii Volcanoes NP - Rain Forest and Lava Tube.

If you're driving from Hilo to the volcanoes, I also recommend Pana`ewa Tiergarten, which is hidden in a Rainforest Zoo. Not so much for the cache itself, but the surroundings.

Have fun!

Great ideas! Thank you! I'll definitely be checking out some of those caches. Since I like caches where the adventure is part of the fun, any suggestions for hikes? I'm happy to do the quick hikes that a majority of tourists will end up doing, but if I were to pick out one or two longer hikes, what would you suggest?

:D

If it hikes you are after, there's no shortage of those!

Probably the ultimate adventure is the hike to: GC 154Y3 Pu'u O'o Vent Cache. Read the logs, and if you go leave nothing in your car and leave it unlocked.

Out near South Point you can hike to a green sand beach: GC4E6E Dos and Dads Cache.

The cache is archived, but everyone enjoyed the hike, which can still be done, but use your best judgement: GC8578 Above Waipio Valley

Our favorite hike inside the National Park is Kilauea Iki. We also recommend hiking to the lava if it is flowing. There is a virtual cache you can claim if you make it there. GC3E4E Hot Rox.

That should keep you busy (and off the beaten tourist track).

jrr

PS: Buy the book I mentioned in my first post. You'll thank me later, I promise.

Great ideas! Thank you! I'll definitely be checking out some of those caches. Since I like caches where the adventure is part of the fun, any suggestions for hikes? I'm happy to do the quick hikes that a majority of tourists will end up doing, but if I were to pick out one or two longer hikes, what would you suggest?

:D

Sillygirl & Jrr have all my favorites, especially these two hikes. They're not very long but not to be missed IMHO. The Blue Lagoon is best approached along the coast (starting from the Queen's Bath).

Kona side:

GC6C94 Blue Lagoon. This is our favorite place on the whole island, we found it b/c of the above mentioned guidebook and have been coming here since way before we were caching.

Hilo/Volcano side:

GCG5AM Devil's Throat. It's a virtual (no regular caches in Volcanoes NP). It just shows you how much of the park the average tourist NEVER sees.

One more pointer... Rent a Jeep 4x4! It's worth the extra cost to have the top off and it will go where you need to go.