I've got the GPS, the PDA and GSAK...now what?

herdgrad97

Greetings all. I came upon geocaching very unexpectedly...have been researching it ever since and I think I'm going to dig it. I went out and bought/downloaded everything it seems I need to walk out the door but want to make sure.

GPS - check

USB to serial connector - check (although I can't seem to figure out why I bought this)

PDA with cachmate loaded - check

GSAK on the computer - check

"Geocaching for Dummies" - check

Positive attitude - check

Am I missing anything?

And my first real question is, now that I have all of this stuff is there any easier way to put all of these waypoints onto my gps or do I continue to go back and forth between the database on my PDA to manually entering them in my gps everytime I have a break at work (the co-workers think I'm nuts).

I've manually put in about 8 caches but what happens when I am on the other side of town and in a spare moment want to see if there are any caches close by?

I'm sure it's just going to take some time for me to get familiar with all of these programs and what they can do for me but I want to walk out that door NOW. Am I ready?

Don't forget your pants......and a pencil/pen.

Seriously - as a premium member you should learn about and run Pocket Queries so that you download the details of up to 500 caches at a time or up to 2500 in a day. Make sure to use GSAK to upload the waypoints to your GPS (if the unit can do that). Keep the details on your PDA.

Have Fun!!!

Don't forget your pants......and a pencil/pen.

Seriously - as a premium member you should learn about and run Pocket Queries so that you download the details of up to 500 caches at a time or up to 2500 in a day. Make sure to use GSAK to upload the waypoints to your GPS (if the unit can do that). Keep the details on your PDA.

Have Fun!!!

What Starbrand said!

Did you get any mapping software with your GPS? This could be a plus but not a real necessity. Depends on how much use you would like to get out of you GPS. The unit can do more than just take you to geocaches.

Okay...Pants - check

I did not get any software with it (its the etrek Legend) but all in due time...just want to be able to get from my front door to the sidewalk right now (I know, open my eyes, right?)

Fiddling with the GSAK program and have found how to send waypoints to the GPSr. Ah-HAH!

I started with a small bag around my waist. Then it got bigger... and bigger (not my waist :sad: ) and now I carry a backpack and have stuff in the car.

A simple First aid kit can be helpful. A bandaid and tweezers! A few stumbles in the woods can get you a nasty sliver/splinter and a cut! It does help to be able to address the simpler things.

We have flashlights (when you really don't want to quit)

Then we have bug spray, sun block.

If bugs bother you, you might want bug clothing.

Water is handy to carry.

We carry a simple cache repair kit. A couple of replacement log books and pencils. We also keep replacement containers in the car (as long as it's not a 10km hike back :grin: )

But all you REALLY need is a GPSr and a cache, everything else comes with experience.

What I really need is a 4x4 RV with a lot of storage :sad: