Delorme PN-20 vs. Garmin 60CSx

tradhunter

Can anyone compare the two? I need an accurate GPS in heavy tree canopy, but also need 1:24K topo maps. Seems the Garmin may be the more accurate, but the Delorme is stronger on the maps. I realize the Delorme does not have the SirFIII chip, but have heard good things about the accuracy. Anyone have 1st hand experience with both?

Can anyone compare the two? I need an accurate GPS in heavy tree canopy, but also need 1:24K topo maps. Seems the Garmin may be the more accurate, but the Delorme is stronger on the maps. I realize the Delorme does not have the SirFIII chip, but have heard good things about the accuracy. Anyone have 1st hand experience with both?

Have the PN-20, Magellan Explorer 600, Garmin Vista CX (and a few others) all with the appropriate topographical software. If you need topographical information the Garmin sucks big time. The PN-20 has the best topographical program and you can also use downloadable topos along with satellite photos. PN-20 is annoyingly slow on the refresh rate. I've had mixed results with it in heavy canopy. If you truly need topographical information as your primary requirement Garmin would be my last choice for a GPS. If you're not in a rush you may want to check out the new Magellan that works with National Geographic topographical maps (once it out), and see how the reviews of the mapping software compared to the PN-20. My Bushnell Onix 400 is still on back order and is allegedly supposed to ship tomorrow so I can not give you any information except I have downloaded topographical maps and they are comparable to the downloadable maps for the PN-20.

I have both and as already mentioned the DeLorme Maps are the best by far compared to the Garmin Mapsource equivalents BUT, the PN-20 cannot compare to the 60CS or CSx for speed, intuitve operation and if you plan to cache with it, cache-specific functionality. As of this writing, Garmin is the only handheld that can take GPX downloads directly from Geocaching.com. I have been using Garmin GPS's for years and think they, and Garmin customer service, are/ is great. I also think the PN-20 has a lot of potential but is still a beta-level instrument. I have had both in heavy cover and prefer the 60CSx over the PN-20. I am waiting to see what the PN-XX (next generation) will have in store but I would say that it should be much better competition for Garmin then the PN-20.

Strictly my opinion,

Lee

Assonet, MA

YBLee, Geocaching.com

Edited by YBLee

Curious...I'll try to insert a screen capture on the PN-20 (don't have Garmin topos).

My general impression regarding the questions you pose are that the PN-20 has pretty good reception, nearly (but maybe not quite) as good as the 60csx in foliage. I like my PN-20 because I place a high value on the good quality topos, and I think highly of the Delorme Topo USA software. I like doing things like transferring a track of a trail I have hiked to the PC, embedding it in a draw layer as a routable trail, and loading it back on the modified map into the GPS.

OTOH, I would either steer people away from the PN-20--or at least prepare them to not have high expectations--if they intend to do much street navigation with the GPS. Benjamin921 has had better luck with his and finds it acceptable in this regard, but I don't think there's any comparison to my Garmin Quest. The 60csx falls a little short of some of the Quest features, but it's in the same ballpark.

screencap-2007-09-29--11-42-42.jpg

Looks like the image feature should work for you, Daniel. Are you uploading to something like PhotoBucket so you can paste the url in?

Had a Garmin III Plus for seven years... worked great

been long time user of Delorme's Topo USA, and Nat Geographic TOPO, and Garmin's MapSource software

I received the cool ads for the PN-20 and decided to get one!

Unfortunately, it wasn't (and still isn't) ready for prime time

returned it and bought a 60CSx ... love it.

lightning fast direction calculation, fast POI's, great reception (I have a track log of me driving around and around in parking garage, and another one where I walked to the deli near my work, I transferred the log to google earth, and I could see which side of the road I was walking on, and when I crossed the streets, etc)

here are some threads about my experience

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=10500

comparison

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=11091

good luck!

I took embra's screen shot and tried to duplicate it on my 60CSx.

Nicely done! The Garmin maps look pretty nice, too.

I will note that the Delorme detail maps can be cut with more contour lines than I have displaying, but I like to reduce my onscreen data to boost efficiency in screen redraws (the PN-20 could use a faster processor, and I find I have to be mindful of not wasting CPU cycles).