*.loc files

OK ... really simple question, I hope .... maps downloaded ... GPS hooked via USB to PC ... how do I get cache locations loaded into the map?

Yes, I know, sounds like a really simple question but, I tried going to the "search near location" page on Groundspeak and selected all that were near me ... and could not find anything in the menus that said I could download all nearby caches on the page to my GPS. If I went to each individual cache, it then said I could download an individual cache to my GPS. Upon doing so, the message was that it was downloaded successfully. However, go to the map and there is no cache information on the map. Am I doing something wrong? Also, the level of detail on the map is very little compared to my Nuvi ... are there settings that I am missing?

I have latest map loaded (they call it Hawaii, City Navigator North America 2008, Sep 2007 for some reason). How do I download and read caches?

When I hit the "Download Waypoints" button, it comes up with a box that says "Find", "Save", or "Cancel". I've saved it, looked for it, and it eventually takes me to a page that says "Windows cannot open this file: geocaching.loc To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?" etc, etc. Using the web service only takes me to a garbage area where they want to scan my registry, and using the program list option does not return any good programs.

Any suggestions?

If you have a garmin go to geocaching.com through the garmin site. YOu log in and select go geocaching. Put in you town or zip and it will find the local caches. Select the ones you want and hit download. Of course you had already plugged in your unit and turned it on. Works for me and takes the data straight off the geocaching site.

That's how I've been doing it, but I've been at it for onl;y a few weeks and have yet to read any directions.

Most waypoints downloaded from the website download as .loc files, unless you select the .gpx file from the individual cache webpage. Occassionally, when downloading for the first time, Windows may add an extention such as .html. If this happens, clicking on the file may not attract the necessary program to open it. You can change the extention manually to .loc, or open the file via the appropriate program (i.e. MapSource, GSAK, EasyGPS, etc...).

I have not experience from downloading waypoints directly into the GPS; so, I can't help any there.