Tagging

The Cheeseheads

Inspired by this post...

Has any thought ever been given to adding "tagging" as a feature of the site, i.e. adding keywords to things?

For example, instead of attributes, caches could have tags like "ticks" or "kid friendly" or "delorme"

Pictures could be tagged with "kids" or "winter" or "verification picture"

Travel bugs could be tagged with "completed goal" or "washington" or "personal"

I could tag my user page with "kenosha" or "wisconsin" or "garmin"

With all these tags in place, searching for a term would result in a page broken up by caches, pictures, users, etc. that use the specified tag.

All the cool Web 2.0 sites are doing it! ;)

With some small amount of standardization in terminology - I see benefit....

This is workable. Much like the way Google will spell check your word and provide results based on the proper spelling and variants on singular or plural, a site can produce results for similar tags or tags that mean the same thing.

If anything, I'd especially like to see this implemented with uploaded photos. I can imagine that some cachers have thousands of pictures in their galleries, with no good way to view them other than by date.
I only have 503 so far but you are right. I would be awesome to search through them using tags. If they did that, I would have to start writing more when I upload my photos.

I like the idea. It's been at least partially implemented over on the Waymarking site, so perhaps it might someday be carried over to the Geocaching side of the house.

Isnt that backwards? Or are all the new techy things being developed thier now first?

I like the idea. It's been at least partially implemented over on the Waymarking site, so perhaps it might someday be carried over to the Geocaching side of the house.

Isnt that backwards? Or are all the new techy things being developed thier now first?

I can only guess about Groundspeak's plans, but I will say that there are newly developed features available on the Waymarking site that would be very useful on the geocaching site. However, there are a number of features on the geocaching site that haven't yet made it to the Waymarking site. And there is some new technology on the Waymarking site that doesn't appear to be quite ready for the needs of the much larger geocaching community (the new Waymarking forums, for example).

Inspired by this post...

Has any thought ever been given to adding "tagging" as a feature of the site, i.e. adding keywords to things?

If you're brave, GeoQO can tag and rate caches for you now and has a publication and sharing mechanism with others that use GeoQO too. However, the software is currently at the beta level and needs usability improvements (the base technology is there to do what you want now though).

Inspired by this post...

If you're brave, GeoQO can tag and rate caches for you now and has a publication and sharing mechanism with others that use GeoQO too. However, the software is currently at the beta level and needs usability improvements (the base technology is there to do what you want now though).

Yes

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...&hl=tagging

Discussed a number of times, still a great idea. Both negative and positive tags should be allowed, and they should be assignable by finders, not just hiders.

Discussed a number of times, still a great idea. Both negative and positive tags should be allowed, and they should be assignable by finders, not just hiders.

The biggest issue with tagging and rating is that everyone has different opinions and that tags and ratings from opposites of you are useless, which is the main argument people use against them. However, the solution is to only trust tags and rates from people who are similar to you (as discussed here).

I'd argue that the owner should be able to tag their own cache too, though. But obviously they should be treated differently when looking at the collective tagging results.