Neewbie needs help.

Rhinomike

I have just stumbled across this hobby. I cant beleive I have never heard of it before. Me, the wife and kids are very excited to get going. I tried to do some searching utilizing my navigation system in my Suburban yesterday but I was not succesful. It is not made for this type of searching. I have never used a handheld GPS before. I am ready to buy one so we can get started. I have read some topics on this forum. I have narrowed it down to 3 units. What is the best unit for a neewbie to get started. I want a good unit. Money is not so much of an issue. I want it to be easy to use and I want it to be accurate and get me to where I need to be to start searching. Any suggestions would be grreatly appreciated. Thanks.

Garmin Etrex Venture CX

Garmin Etrex Vista HCX

Garmin Etrex Legend HCX

Welcome to the Forums! B) And . . . to the Addiction . . . :PB)

I have had a Garmin Vista, a Vista C, a Legend C, and now I have the Vista HCx. I like the small size of these units for hiking, but also use mine for auto-navigation with City Navigator maps installed.

I like the Vista HCx, but the Legend HCx is almost the same. Check Garmin's site for the comparison of all the features.

I have just stumbled across this hobby. I cant beleive I have never heard of it before. Me, the wife and kids are very excited to get going. I tried to do some searching utilizing my navigation system in my Suburban yesterday but I was not succesful. It is not made for this type of searching. I have never used a handheld GPS before. I am ready to buy one so we can get started. I have read some topics on this forum. I have narrowed it down to 3 units. What is the best unit for a neewbie to get started. I want a good unit. Money is not so much of an issue. I want it to be easy to use and I want it to be accurate and get me to where I need to be to start searching. Any suggestions would be grreatly appreciated. Thanks.

Garmin Etrex Venture CX

Garmin Etrex Vista HCX

Garmin Etrex Legend HCX

I am fairly new to this hobby myself. I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. I compared an eTrex Vista Cx, and the HCx has much better satellite reception. They are not really intuitive to use, initially, but after you use them in the field a while, you get used to what each of the buttons do.

If money is not really an issue, then go for the best of the three: the Vista HCx. I am happy with mine. :P

Cheers

I have had a Garmin Vista, a Vista C, a Legend C, and now I have the Vista HCx. I like the small size of these units for hiking, but also use mine for auto-navigation with City Navigator maps installed.

I like the Vista HCx, but the Legend HCx is almost the same. Check Garmin's site for the comparison of all the features.

Find that small screen helpful wrt auto-routing does ya? Interesting. I'd view that as a negative in that application.

Find that small screen helpful wrt auto-routing does ya? Interesting. I'd view that as a negative in that application.

Now if that thing also gives verbal guidance....well then you has gots one heck of an auto-navigation thing going on.

Criminnie, who knows. B)

Edited by Team Cotati

Welcome to the Forums! <_< And . . . to the Addiction . . . :anitongue:<_<

Now if that thing also gives verbal guidance....well then you has gots one heck of an auto-navigation thing going on.

Criminnie, who knows. <_<

I'm new to this as well. I just ordered a Garmin GPSMAP76CSX. I hope that is a good one and will do what I need it to do. Could someone tell me if that is a good buy or not?

I don't know what you want to spend, but I got a eTrex Vist Cx (not HCx) for $203.46 including shipping off Amazon. It works great. Easy to d/l pocket queries and the electronic compass DOES help at times. It isn't high-sensitivity, but I don't need it. With my pocket pc, I go paperless and enjoy every minute of it.

1 Garmin Etrex Venture CX

2 Garmin Etrex Vista HCX

3 Garmin Etrex Legend HCX

1 Don't even think about old technology.

2 The best

3 Same as 2, but without electronic compass ridiculous to buy to save $20

Funny but that is the same way that I was thinking. I think I am going to go out tomorrow and get the Etrex Vista HCX. I cant wait to find my first cache. The wife and kids are more excited than I am.

Thanks for the input guys.

2 Garmin Etrex Vista HCX

2 The best

Funny but that is the same way that I was thinking. I think I am going to go out tomorrow and get the Etrex Vista HCX. I cant wait to find my first cache. The wife and kids are more excited than I am.

The one issue with the Vista (or any unit with an electronic compass) is that it has to be calibrated frequently. At least every time you change the battery and sometimes in between if it starts acting fluky. Some people find this to be a pain and would rather go with a unit that doesn't have an electronic compass.

It also eats batteries faster than a unit without one (i.e. the Legend HCX).

Others wouldn't buy a unit without an electronic compass (I'm one). It's all a matter of personal preference.

The one issue with the Vista (or any unit with an electronic compass) is that it has to be calibrated frequently. At least every time you change the battery and sometimes in between if it starts acting fluky. Some people find this to be a pain and would rather go with a unit that doesn't have an electronic compass.

Others wouldn't buy a unit without an electronic compass (I'm one). It's all a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for that reminder. I have never calibrated my compass on my Vista HCx, but then again I have not really used it yet, either. I will have to do that and see how it goes.

2 Garmin Etrex Vista HCX

2 The best

Is it possible to turn the compass off and not have to calibrate it?

Is it possible to turn the compass off and not have to calibrate it?

Yes, it is off by default. You can also turn it on and not calibrate it (that is what I have done a few times).

Edited by UncleJimbo

Thanks for all of the help guys ...

It looks lioke it is narrowed down to 2 choices.......

The Etrex Legend HCX

or

The Etrex Vista HCX

From what it sounds like the Vista HCX is the way to go. I have been calling around here local trying to find one without much luck. I am to excited to order it online. I want it today. I have a few more places to check then it looks like I will have to order it online.

Thanks for all of the help guys ...

It looks lioke it is narrowed down to 2 choices.......

The Etrex Legend HCX

or

The Etrex Vista HCX

From what it sounds like the Vista HCX is the way to go. I have been calling around here local trying to find one without much luck. I am to excited to order it online. I want it today. I have a few more places to check then it looks like I will have to order it online.

You will save a lot of money if you order it online. Check PriceGrabber or other such price comparison services for the best prices.

I was all set to buy the Vista HCX but then I read off thes problems they are having (see link). This kind of has me worried. It seems to be just the H series. Will this have an affect on my hunt for a cache? Should I start looking at a different unit? Since I have never owned a unit it was kind of hard for me to follow the problem that people are having...... Thanks Guys.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=173260

I was all set to buy the Vista HCX but then I read off thes problems they are having (see link). This kind of has me worried. It seems to be just the H series. Will this have an affect on my hunt for a cache? Should I start looking at a different unit? Since I have never owned a unit it was kind of hard for me to follow the problem that people are having...... Thanks Guys.

That speed filter issue has not made one bit of difference to my geocaching. It will probably get fixed by Garmin with an update eventually, it seems.

I have also not experienced any of the other sporadic problems some people have mentioned in other threads.

That speed filter issue has not made one bit of difference to my geocaching. It will probably get fixed by Garmin with an update eventually, it seems.

I have also not experienced any of the other sporadic problems some people have mentioned in other threads.

Great. Thank you for all of your help. I really apreciate it. Hopefully someday I will become experienced and be able to help others as you have done to me.

I just placed an order for the Vista HCX. I got it for $217.00 from Amazon.com with free shipping. However I am to excited so I paid the extra $ 20.00 for overnight shipping. I am sure once I get it I will have more questions.

Thank you again to everyone for all of your help.

I just placed an order for the Vista HCX. I got it for $217.00 from Amazon.com with free shipping. However I am to excited so I paid the extra $ 20.00 for overnight shipping. I am sure once I get it I will have more questions.

Wow, that is a good price, quite a bit less than I paid in July. Was that for a new unit?

Wow, that is a good price, quite a bit less than I paid in July. Was that for a new unit?

Yes it is a new unit not a refubished unit .... Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...ractiveda742-20

I wish I had seen this topic before I purchased my 2 GPSr units. I started out as cheap as possible, I found a store display model of a Magellan eXplorist 200 for under $100. It was good enough to get me hooked on the sport and realize that I wanted something a little better. I had always figured that Magellan was a good brand name due to their "NeverLost" fame with Hertz. Can anyone out there tell me why everyone seems to be chanting "GARMIN!", "GARMIN!", "GARMIN!"? Are the Garmin units really that much better? Is this a matter of fact or personal preference (opinion)?

The reason I ask is that my 2nd GPSr was an upgrade to the 200 that I had originally purchased. Afterall, I had already become familiar with the Magellan UI and I didn't really care to relearn a new one. I got an eXplorist 500LE which had several improvements over my 200 (color screen, USB PC hook-up, SD memory expandability and Geocaching software). These features attracted me to this unit, but I ran into a reception problem with this brand new unit (still in the box with all the stuff that I never got with my first purchase). I was a little upset, so I took it back to the store and exchanged it for another 500LE thinking that this was just a bad unit. Afterall, my little runt 200 had never lost the tracking signal in about a month of use (pun was unintentional and discovered upon proof reading). Needless to say I am now closely watching how the replacement 500LE behaves. If this one drops my signal, I will be forced to change brands (and learn a new UI I guess). Or should I wait for the Triton 2000? Should I go to Garmin? What's the concensus?

I wish I had enough money to buy them all and pick the best one!

Thanks,

I wish I had seen this topic before I purchased my 2 GPSr units. I started out as cheap as possible, I found a store display model of a Magellan eXplorist 200 for under $100. It was good enough to get me hooked on the sport and realize that I wanted something a little better. I had always figured that Magellan was a good brand name due to their "NeverLost" fame with Hertz. Can anyone out there tell me why everyone seems to be chanting "GARMIN!", "GARMIN!", "GARMIN!"? Are the Garmin units really that much better? Is this a matter of fact or personal preference (opinion)?

My reason for choosing Garmin was their Macintosh support (though rather limited).