What does offset mean?

babydollbooty

Well, if you're talking about the "Lame Cache Offset," it is a proposal to help cachers who place lame caches alleviate their consciences by making it look like they are doing something to make up for their actions, much as Al Gore is making tons of $$ by letting people feel they are off the hook for driving their H3's by giving him money.

If you are talking about an "Offset Cache," that's a whole other story. The cache listing will give you an offset from the posted coords, something like "180 degrees, 250 feet." My GPSr will do it, as will the couple others I've played with. As far as how to do it, I'd read my manual. If it is a figure you get before you leave, you could also use an online tool to calculate it. Some offset caches require you to get information in the field for your bearing or distance, though, making your familiarity with how to do this on your GPSr necessary.

I'm also recalling that Cachemate (caching software for your PDA) has a tool that will calculate this for you.