USB to Serial converter doesn't work

kevnjenn

Help!! I recently switched from a desktop to a laptop, and had to purchase a USB to serial converter. I finally got around to hooking it up today, and can't get the #$%# thing to work. Anybody else use one of these, or maybe have any ideas what I can check? Does Garmin make a direct USB cable for their products? Greatly appreciated.

Which OS and software are you running? Did it come with a driver cd? Also, there is another thread regarding this same subject, and one of the posters had to have his gps connected, turned on, and then boot his computer for XP to recognize it.

Not sure it will help you, but worth a shot.

The other thing is - have you had your Legend connected & functional previously? If not, you may have to change the connection settings in the Setup page - look on pg 46 of your manual for more info. I had to do this with mine.

Hey Kevin,

That's my exact set-up. Windows XP laptop, USB convertor, GSAK or www.geocache.com and Garmin eTrex Legend. As mentioned earlier you'll need the drivers installed that came with your USB convertor or you'll need to download and install them. In my case when the drivers were installed the USB device works as COM4. Also, Ensure your eTrex Legend is set to Garmin interface.

What software are you using? I do have one issue where my mouse goes crazy if I boot with the GPS powered. USB convertor connected is OK just dont have the GPS powered on. THis may be specific to my set-up.

Drop me a line if you have any further questions.

Edited by mTn_biKer65